• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Used car advice

thread revival.jpg

Kias and Hyundai's share engines...and all of their crankshaft issues.... I know a tech that sez they see a dozen bad engines a month. Long blocks are in national backorder.

Kias and Hyundai's share engines...and all of their crankshaft issues.... I know a tech that sez they see a dozen bad engines a month. Long blocks are in national backorder.
Manufacturing defect for yeeeears.. they left shavings and debris in the motors..
I've sent people back there with 2012s, still getting free motors.

Was looking at a new Subaru Crosstek till I found out they have solid lifter cams and require adjustments every 30K.
Not Bad till I found out the boxer engine has to be removed to do the adjustments..Maybe I shouldn't care as Slant 6 engines most went a lifetime never getting adjusted.
To me , I keep my cars forever as my newest is a 2007 PT Cruiser. Of course I may be dead before having to adjust valves. It takes me about 10+ years to put 30K on a car.

Last edited:
Don't forget Chrysler; the Kia/Hyundai/Chrysler world engine design (1.8, 2.0, 2.4 and Tigershark designs) was shared by all three companies, dating back to when Chrysler had planned to buy Hyundai.

Back