• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vin location and decode help!

64fury

Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals

Trying to decode the vin and fender tag on my 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury and keep running into some snags.

First snag I can't find the VIN tag.

The registration says the VIN is 3441xxxxxx (last 6 sequance numbers x'd out for safety)

From this I get:
(3) Plymouth V8
(4) Premium price point
(4) 1964 Model Year
(1) Detroit Lynch Road plant

Easy to decode, just can't find it to confirm.

I can however find the options tag on the Fender, but can't decode it.

it reads:

30 103
063 15 838 12 8
0316 0473 342 P4X PP

From this all I can decode is:
(063) 8.55x14 WSW Tires
(342) Torqueflite 1962-63 & 66

Nothing else comes up!

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Here is a start : http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/mopar/mopar fender tags/decodefendtags.html
This link is just an explanation of what is what and not the actual codes for "your" numbers. I'll try to find some more imfo.

Have you looked under your dash board, on the back of your glove box for a broadcast sheet? That is a good place to look because if they have "taped" one there it is a good chance that it is in good shape. The ones that they place under or behind the seats get eaten up by mice and are not always completely filled out. The broadcast sheet is easier to translate and might even be spelled out on the card which options the car has...
punch_card.jpg

The Vin tag is located on the driver's door jam and is a stainless steel tag with the numbers stamped in it...

ml-staudinger641964vin.jpg ml-staudinger641964vinb.jpg

Try this link for your codes. You have to look down thru them for 1964 codes. Kinda a pain but these cars are a challenge! http://papentastars.tripod.com/id21.html

ml-staudinger641964vin.jpg

ml-staudinger641964vinb.jpg

punch_card.jpg

Thanks for the info, been able to find out, the cars was a factory 413 street wedge with a torqueflite and heavy duty suspension, monotone paint in Ruby red.

I can however find the options tag on the Fender, but can't decode it.

it reads:

30 103
063 15 838 12 8
0316 0473 342 P4X PP

I have to assume the placement on some codes. If I'm incorrect, please clarify under which letters the numbers are stamped.

30= indicates the Gate sequence number

103= indicates the base number. Taken together, these two codes have to do with the production of the body in white.

AB/06 = 383-4bbl
C/3 = four speed
G/1 = AM radio
J/5 = heater with defroster
?/8 = what letter is this under? L?
N/3? = unknown or unconfirmed
P/8? = unknown or unconfirmed
Q/1? = unknown or unconfirmed
V/2 = sold car/expedite = somebody ordered it and is waiting for delivery
?/8 = what letter is this under?

0316 = scheduled production date of March 16 (1964)
0473 = remainder of sales order number
342 = 3= Plymouth V8 4 = Sport fury 2 = two door HT
P4X = interior trim code = P4= premium trim; vinyl buckets X = Black
PP = exterior color = Ruby (red)

64 Sport Fury, red with black interior, 383-4 with four speed transmission. Sounds like a nice car.

Thanks for the info, been able to find out, the cars was a factory 413 street wedge with a torqueflite and heavy duty suspension, monotone paint in Ruby red.

A 413 would not have been available in a 64 Sport Fury.

Thanks 69coronetrt, your info sounds better than mine, I thought the 15 on the second line was the engine. The block casting number puts it at a early 60's 383 anyway to check if the block matches the body?

...anyway to check if the block matches the body?

Not on a '64. Check the casting and assembly dates. If they are before or near Mid March of 64 it could be the original engine.

Got a chance to get a more detailed breakdown of the fender tag.

A=0
B=6
C=3

G=1

J=5

M=6
N=3
O=8

R=1

V=2

Z=8

Confused on how it works, I understand the number under the letter idicates an option from that group, but not sure how you got 06 under the AB to be a 383-4bbl and 3 under C to be a 4-speed

I went here http://papentastars.tripod.com/id21.html

100_1211.jpg

Got a chance to get a more detailed breakdown of the fender tag.

A=0
B=6
C=3
G=1
J=5
M=6 Unknown or unconfirmed
N=3 Unknown or unconfirmed
O=8 Unknown or unconfirmed
R=1 Unknown or unconfirmed
V=2
Z=8 Unknown or unconfirmed

Confused on how it works, I understand the number under the letter idicates an option from that group, but not sure how you got 06 under the AB to be a 383-4bbl and 3 under C to be a 4-speed

It's pretty simple: Engine codes were two digit codes. Lynch Road simply put them under the AB. Hamtramch put them under the QR. A different plant could have put them under some other letters.

By using the coding system above, you could have up to 10 similar options in series. Say the 340 series relates to transmissions so you have 10 different transmissions you can code by using the numbers 340-349. Sales code 343 is the sales code in 1964 for a four speed. You will see this on the order sheet, the window sticker, the IBM card and also an annotated version the tag.

You can place them on the tag anywhere you want but usually, not always, the codes go up from left to right. Let's just put them under the "C". As long as we know what group of codes, the 340 series, falls under what letter, we can decode the tag. The difficulty with decoding 1964 and earlier tags is there is no consistency between plants as to what series were coded under what letter. The letter "C" could code for transmission at the Lynch Road plant but it could code for something else at another plant.

Since we don't know what series the "O" on your tag stands for, we can guess at what some of the corresponding codes could be, (they'd all end in 8) but we'd need a broadcast sheet to really nail it down.

O/8 = could be option 408. Does the car have a tach? That would make sense and that's about the only three digit number ending in 8 that does.

R/1 = could be option 411 front seat belts. Does the car have seat belts? It could also be 421 electric clock. Does the car have a clock? It could indicated 431 tinted windows. It could be 441 bumper guards. It could be anyone of a number of codes that end in "1".

See how it works?

Last edited:
That new link works great, with that info the tag is esay to decode,

383 4-bbl 'golden comando' Duel exhaust, 4 speed with hurst shifter, heavy duty shocks, clock, am radio, bumper guards, black interior with bucket seats, ruby red mono tone paint, 3.23 axel ratio.

Sure, just posted some pics in the Member's Projects & Restorations section! :yes:

Auto Transport Service
Back