• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year is my 318?

ledman

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
ive searched the web and found nothing but confusing information on how to read these numbers. I know it's a 318 for sure but I'm not sure what year the motor is as the owner told me it is not the original 318 that came in my 72 satellite.
Any help is appreciated!!

IMG_2491.JPG

ive searched the web and found nothing but confusing information on how to read these numbers. I know it's a 318 for sure but I'm not sure what year the motor is as the owner told me it is not the original 318 that came in my 72 satellite.
Any help is appreciated!!

View attachment 414041

Check the right side of the block for the date cast number. At least that how it is on my 1968 318 engine. It has the numbers 4 26 68 cast on the block which indicates April 26, 1968. I would think yours would be similar.

Ok thanks...so other than the 318 number below the cylinder head these numbers are basically useless?

I didn't take a good look but they might be VIN # from the donor car.

the R stands for regular fuel, partial vin on machined pad on oil pan rail in front of pass side engine mount

the R stands for regular fuel, partial vin on machined pad on oil pan rail in front of pass side engine mount
I've seen that number would that tell me the year? I can't get a good look at the block my headers are in the way

This is the best photo I can get right now if the pad stamp above the oil pan

IMG_2316.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back