• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When my car arrives fuel system prep?

The Rebel

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just thinking about this as I don't know how long the car has been out for a good long ride. I'd be using the 98 octane and I'm assuming I should put some fuel cleaner into the tank as well as spraying the carb down with some carb cleaner but wanted your opinions 1st.

Hey guys. Just thinking about this as I don't know how long the car has been out for a good long ride. I'd be using the 98 octane and I'm assuming I should put some fuel cleaner into the tank as well as spraying the carb down with some carb cleaner but wanted your opinions 1st.

So you put some fuel cleaner in the tank, then what? Where's all that scale and $hit gonna go. It doesn't miraculously disappear into nowhere. It goes up the fuel line until it reaches the carb and clogs the orifices after clogging the filters. If you suspect a filthy tank or fuel system, remove and clean the tank, change the sock on the pickup, blow the fuel lines, replace the filter and lift the top off the carb to see what you missed. You'll be good for years and never wonder if that's why your car stalls.

Car gets regular use, so I'd say it's not overly dirty. Not sitting for months at a time.

Here's the video from the inspection:

So you put some fuel cleaner in the tank, then what? Where's all that scale and $hit gonna go. It doesn't miraculously disappear into nowhere. It goes up the fuel line until it reaches the carb and clogs the orifices after clogging the filters. If you suspect a filthy tank or fuel system, remove and clean the tank, change the sock on the pickup, blow the fuel lines, replace the filter and lift the top off the carb to see what you missed. You'll be good for years and never wonder if that's why your car stalls.

Seems to run fine, guessing that car didn't come cheap so if it was me I'd be doing my own inspection upon arrival. Id probaly drain that fuel out, disconnect the line at the pump and clear that line. Peek in the tank see what it looks like

That's one beautiful ride and probably worth a host of money. Take care of it properly and your investment will only rise in value. That car deserves your full attention in whatever maintenance you do, don't let your wallet be your guide.

Check fuel odor. If ok, put sta-bil in and drive it.

Sta-bil & a new f.filter IMO. Have fun!

Car gets regular use, so I'd say it's not overly dirty. Not sitting for months at a time.

Here's the video from the inspection:

If that's the case then I think your overreacting from excitement. When you get it open the cap and take a whiff, if it smells potent just top off and enjoy.

Yea, I'm dying to get this delivered next week! At least it's a rainy weekend here so I'm not missing out.
If that's the case then I think your overreacting from excitement. When you get it open the cap and take a whiff, if it smells potent just top off and enjoy.

Just when the clear skies come, so should the car. Win-win.

Auto Transport Service
Back