• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to route fuel return? Sniper EFI on '69 charger

kaj750

Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
I'm playing with different options on a few different sending units. I am unable to find a way to mount the bulkhead for the fuel return.
Here's an example of what I'm dealing with.
When using an aftermarket sending unit, this one came with the return line installed. I was told it was 3/8. It is not. I drilled and cut it out but there is no room on the unit for the hardware of the bulkhead to fit:

20240516_153639.jpg

With the OEM sending unit, the fuel filter was complete trash and I cannot find a replacement. Plus, I figure good idea to swap out a 50-year-old sending unit.

Thought about drilling into the fuel tank, but I would not be able to reach the bulkhead to tighten it down from the sending unit opening.

20240516_153759.jpg

Anyone reading this install one of these kits? If so I would greatly appreciate if you would kindly tell me how you mounted the fuel return return bulkhead.

Thanks, in advance!

Last edited:
My advice is buy an efi tank. Your tank can me modified but its a lot of work.

Not on a '69. I did an in-tank on my '67 Coronet. I used 2 3/8" factory lines. Used 3/8" tubing to -6AN fittings at the ends where necessary to attach to tank bulkhead and to F.I. throttle body. For that last little bit, I used -6 PTFE braided line w AN fittings. PTFE will not rot from fuel or heat and is vapor barrier and can handle the pressure.

Last edited:
Tanks Inc efi tank, in tank pump, 'Corvette' fuel filter/regulator mounted near the tank, 1 line up to dual tbs, ptfe lines, Fragola fittings

If you use the Holley Sniper in tank pump you can dead head the system with no return line.

Spectra Premium in tank pump module has 3/8" supply and 5/16"(8mm) return.
SP197A1H

I bought the EFI version of the fuel tank CR9FI that came with the in tank pump. The FI tank has a tub/sump to keep fuel from moving away from the pickup.
You could also use Holley Hydromat if worried about the pickup with low fuel levels, but the hydromat it really expensive.

I was looking to see what it costs, and can't find anyone selling just the fuel pump module?
Tank with pump/sender:
CR9CFI
Amazon has 1 in stock for $468.82 which is a pretty good price. Most other places are $600+

Last edited:
I bought the EFI version of the fuel tank CR9FI that came with the in tank pump. The FI tank has a tub/sump to keep fuel from moving away from the pickup.
You could also use Holley Hydromat if worried about the pickup with low fuel levels, but the hydromat it really expensive.
So just out of curiosity, have you tried (and succeeded) to get that unit out of the tank ?? I bought that tank also and wanted to take it out for a look-see and had no success. I think they weld the tank halves together after they install the pump module !!

So just out of curiosity, have you tried (and succeeded) to get that unit out of the tank ?? I bought that tank also and wanted to take it out for a look-see and had no success. I think they weld the tank halves together after they install the pump module !!
Yes, I think I had to remove the pickup screen from the pump. Reinstalling the screen after installing the pump.
I wanted to see if I could swap in a walbro 450 ss (E-85) pump, but it wont fit.

Tanks Inc has a tank where the sender and pump are installed in two holes towards the top of the tank.
I think the Holley Sniper tanks are the same as the Tanks Inc tanks?

In tank pump with integrated regulator @ 58 psi, no return needed.
I am running one in an OEM style tank and works well.

I installed the same thing on my friends GTX.. So much quieter than the pump and filter pack that comes with the master kit. And the best part was no return line.

I'm playing with different options on a few different sending units. I am unable to find a way to mount the bulkhead for the fuel return.
Here's an example of what I'm dealing with.
When using an aftermarket sending unit, this one came with the return line installed. I was told it was 3/8. It is not. I drilled and cut it out but there is no room on the unit for the hardware of the bulkhead to fit:

View attachment 1664050

With the OEM sending unit, the fuel filter was complete trash and I cannot find a replacement. Plus, I figure good idea to swap out a 50-year-old sending unit.

Thought about drilling into the fuel tank, but I would not be able to reach the bulkhead to tighten it down from the sending unit opening.

View attachment 1664051

Anyone reading this install one of these kits? If so I would greatly appreciate if you would kindly tell me how you mounted the fuel return return bulkhead.

Thanks, in advance!
You don't need to use a bulkhead fitting. The return line is very low pressure. Have a welding shop braze a 3/8 hose nipple to the sending unit flange and then use 3/8 hose with a hose clamp for the return line.
Or buy a dedicated EFI tank, or buy the Holley muscle car EFI module that doesn't need a return line, or there are tons of other ways to skin the cat.

I installed the same thing on my friends GTX.. So much quieter than the pump and filter pack that comes with the master kit. And the best part was no return line.

I won't miss the whine of the electric fuel pump I was using for my carburetor lol
Having all that noise going on the inside the tank was another reason for me making this decision.
Honestly, I don't understand why this doesn't come with the EFI kit instead of the needless, complicated, elaborate setup that it comes with.

Last edited:
I won't miss the wine of the electric fuel pump I was using for my carburetor lol
Having all that noise going on inside the tank was another reason for me making this decision.
Honestly, I don't understand why this doesn't come with the EFI kit instead of the needless, complicated, elaborate setup that it comes with.
Because there are people who cannot afford a tank. Or so they think. When you really look at the cost of a Tanks Inc tank w/pump, and a single line up to TBI, it's not that expensive. But people see the 1st low price when they make their decision and then have to spend more afterwards. Fitech basic FI $879, kit w inline fuel pump $1,329. About $450 difference. A Tanks Inc setup w pressure regulator is around $600. Buy the basic FI w/out "kit" pump and put that into new tank w pump.

Because there are people who cannot afford a tank. Or so they think. When you really look at the cost of a Tanks Inc tank w/pump, and a single line up to TBI, it's not that expensive. But people see the 1st low price when they make their decision and then have to spend more afterwards. Fitech basic FI $879, kit w inline fuel pump $1,329. About $450 difference. A Tanks Inc setup w pressure regulator is around $600. Buy the basic FI w/out "kit" pump and put that into new tank w pump.

I'm playing less than $400 for the in-tank setup. No need for another tank. I know the fuel pump and Chinese FPR that came with the kit saves money.... But it can't be THAT much. Not enough to justify the complicated install.
I have talked to people that have avoided EFI because of the fuel feed and return hassle. If they knew it was this easy, they probably wouldn't mind. The only thing keeping them from doing it now is the fact that they have to buy the EFI kit and now a second fuel pump option. None of us like wasting money lol
Holly should include the in-tank option and bump the price a couple hundred dollars. Definitely worth it to everyone.

On my Duster project I built a custom aluminum tank that sat over the rear axle. The stock location under the trunk floor was consumed with the trans cooler and the exhaust system. The original owner had a fuel cell in the trunk but I wanted some storage space in the trunk so I moved the tank up into the kick up area. I used one of the big Holley fuel cell pumps that drops inside a fuel cell. The regulator sat on the frame rail next to the tank so the return line was super short. Then there was just one high pressure line up to the fuel rails on the engine. This setup worked out great. I had a level indicator in the tank, a sump for the pump to sit in, and a breather tube on top of the tank.

DSC_4262 (Large).JPG

On my Duster project I built a custom aluminum tank that sat over the rear axle. The stock location under the trunk floor was consumed with the trans cooler and the exhaust system. The original owner had a fuel cell in the trunk but I wanted some storage space in the trunk so I moved the tank up into the kick up area. I used one of the big Holley fuel cell pumps that drops inside a fuel cell. The regulator sat on the frame rail next to the tank so the return line was super short. Then there was just one high pressure line up to the fuel rails on the engine. This setup worked out great. I had a level indicator in the tank, a sump for the pump to sit in, and a breather tube on top of the tank.

View attachment 1667125

Not mine but a very clean setup ...

View attachment 1667150

]Cool show-and-tell, but neither help me in any way. LOL.

I went with the Holley in-tank pump that goes into the OEM fuel tank. Installing tomorrow and then I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Auto Transport Service
Back