• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will it charge

pwDave

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
Am in the process of getting my car wired up. On the alternator if I run the wire from the battery to the big terminal on the alternator and run both of the field terminals to the regulator will it charge?? the ballast has been eliminated as per MSD instructions. as far as I can make out from my manuals (64 and 71) the alt. does not need current to the fields to excite them. Dave,

Sure will but I'd insert a mega fuse in the line rated 10% below max output of the alternator for safety.

Am in the process of getting my car wired up. On the alternator if I run the wire from the battery to the big terminal on the alternator and run both of the field terminals to the regulator will it charge?? the ballast has been eliminated as per MSD instructions. as far as I can make out from my manuals (64 and 71) the alt. does not need current to the fields to excite them. Dave,
In response to my own post and a conversation with an old friend, the answer to the inquiry, will it charge? is NO it will not charge!! the way I had it the field would not be excited, and therefor would not put out any current, I have to run two more wires and it will be ready to start, fuel pump wire, and the wire to excite the alt., run two fuel lines from the manual pump to the carbs and it's ready!! it will be the first time this car has run in 25 years, it will be a rush for sure. Dave.

Auto Transport Service
Back