• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another kick down question

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of questions about kick down adjustments, and I went to look at how my Road Runner is adjusted for kick down as I do not think it is shifting properly. I'm a bit confused, and here are my pictures.

Below is a picture from the 68 Plymouth Factory Service manual. Note that the bellcrank faces rearward and the ball socket faces towards the front of the car and the motor. Also, the rod connection faces upwards.
upload_2017-11-24_17-8-36.jpeg

Now, it was backwards on my car, and here is the bellcrank and rod removed.

upload_2017-11-24_17-10-28.jpeg

I've tried every combination and can't get it on the car per the factory service manual.

Is it correct to assume I have the wrong kickdown linkage? I wonder what this is off of?

Not really wanting to go Lokar, but if that is my only route I'll get one ordered. Does anyone know of a source for the correct bellcrank?

Thanks for any advice.

The levers on the upper pivot of the 3-pc set always point up. But it's very common these days to for guys to just toss parts together and call it a "setup". If you can't get it right, and the rods are short, you can weld in sections to lengthen them. I've had to do that a few times. I'm not a fan of the non-stock appearance of the Lokar stuff - but it does work and you do need it.

Thanks, Moper. I'm sitting here contemplating the Lokar.

Bill I always liked the oem setup but everyone seems to want $350 or so for that. I’m using a 383 setup with some threaded extension added for use w/440. Either cable wud be cheaper.

I'm not opposed to spending the money if I'm certain what I need, but $300 and up for a clunky mechanism that can be replaced with a $140 cable seems like a good thing. Bouchillon may be blowing smoke, but they claim their cable set up is 'recommended by transmission rebuilders to maintain warranty", etc, etc.

I've placed a help email to Bouchillon explaining what I have and asking what I need. I'll let you know the response.

Of course, if any FBBO members have the correct kick down parts for a reasonable price, I'll consider that route.

Bill, I have the Bouchillon kit you linked to and it works pretty good. To work with the higher Eddy manifold (RPM?) You would either need to tweak the throttle cable bracket or get the Bouchillon carb bracket which attaches to the carb mount stud. The bracket takes the throttle cable and kickdown cable and mounts them in good relation to the carb.

I've seen a lot of questions about kick down adjustments, and I went to look at how my Road Runner is adjusted for kick down as I do not think it is shifting properly. I'm a bit confused, and here are my pictures.

Below is a picture from the 68 Plymouth Factory Service manual. Note that the bellcrank faces rearward and the ball socket faces towards the front of the car and the motor. Also, the rod connection faces upwards.
View attachment 543126

Now, it was backwards on my car, and here is the bellcrank and rod removed.

View attachment 543127

I've tried every combination and can't get it on the car per the factory service manual.

Is it correct to assume I have the wrong kickdown linkage? I wonder what this is off of?

Not really wanting to go Lokar, but if that is my only route I'll get one ordered. Does anyone know of a source for the correct bellcrank?

Thanks for any advice.
If you look at the one you have, the real problem is that the socket ball is on the inside of the bell crank tab and needs to be switched around to the outside. You can do this with a bit of effort and maybe push it out or whatever and move it to the outside. A touch of weld on the backside will secure it permanently.

I have the Bouchillon kit you linked to and it works pretty good. To work with the higher Eddy manifold (RPM?) You would either need to tweak the throttle cable bracket or get the Bouchillon carb bracket which attaches to the carb mount stud. The bracket takes the throttle cable and kickdown cable and mounts them in good relation to the carb.
Thank you. I read the Lokar and Bouchillon instructions. It looks like the Bouchillon is less complex and straightforward. Searching around various forums leans towards more people happy with the Bouchillon, too.
I have a Edlebrock Performer Intake and Carb. It looks like I just need to file the throttle cable hold down 1/8" and remove the stud to mount the cable mount, correct?
Only confusing part of the Bouchillon is the 'adapter' they mention for the Edlebrock. The adapter pictured looks slightly different to the one on my carb.
Hopefully Bouchillon will email me Monday and answer my questions. I sent them a picture of my carb and throttle linkage.

If you look at the one you have, the real problem is that the socket ball is on the inside of the bell crank tab and needs to be switched around to the outside. You can do this with a bit of effort and maybe push it out or whatever and move it to the outside. A touch of weld on the backside will secure it permanently.
Thank you. I thought about doing this as I have a friend that is a 'fair to good' welder, but I have unknowns when it comes to the rods, too. If I was 100% certain the bellcrank was my only issue I'd go your suggested route.
I'm 99% convinced the Bouchillon kit is the correct fix for this issue.

If you do end up going to one of the cable setups you'll find they're pretty easy to get going...I'm currently using the lokar on a 440 w/ the edel. rpm intake and a demon carb, easy to install and adjust. Made the initial adjustment and haven't had to mess with it since. (I use their throttle cable too, the mouting bracket came with one kit or the other but I can't remember which one...I've slept since then lol..)
20171125_210130.jpg
20171125_210136.jpg

I have the Bouchillion Kit and starting installation.

Question: To remove the old cable and kickdown mount on the intake, do I need to drain the coolant?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Bill, I have the Bouchillon kit you linked to and it works pretty good. To work with the higher Eddy manifold (RPM?) You would either need to tweak the throttle cable bracket or get the Bouchillon carb bracket which attaches to the carb mount stud. The bracket takes the throttle cable and kickdown cable and mounts them in good relation to the carb.
I really wished I had taken all of your advice. I've had the Bouchillion kit for a few weeks and waiting now on the BPE bracket. Thanks for all of your help, Threewood!

I really wished I had taken all of your advice. I've had the Bouchillion kit for a few weeks and waiting now on the BPE bracket. Thanks for all of your help, Threewood!
Which bracket do you need bill? I have throttle plate and kickdown linkage mount, also have the cable itself.

E3D11126-CADF-4FD2-B805-BEBAD17B2C00.jpeg

Can't tell from picture is the slotted threaded and adjustable. if not that's a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back