• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Assistance - 1964 Dodge Polara Sport 500

Clayboy

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
Greetings B-Body Nation,
I am in the process of gathering parts for my eventual rebuild; here is some background on the car.

383 4sp. Sold new by Goffe motors in Pueblo Colorado and never messed with - original engine, intake, carb, exhaust, etc. The only things missing were the battery cables, windshield washer bag, and air cleaner housing and base. When I got it had not run is some time and no real rust to speak of thanks to the high desert air. It had probably been sitting out in a field for at least a couple of years, so it was faded, surface rusted, and parts dry-rotted.

I am slowly accumulating parts for the rebuild - this is where I need the benefit of the experience of others. Recommendations on what should be replaced/refurbished and recommendations on vendors; what could still be re-used (for example, trim srews and bolts). Why do I ask? I want to reuse as much as I can. Although I live comfortably, I still like to DYI as much as I can and my plans are to actually enjoy the car as much as possible and not simply look at it.

To date, here is what I have amassed so far:
Complete interior minus door panels and visors
Complete body gasket kit
Air cleaner and base plate
Power brake reservoir for front disk brake conversion
Complete interior screw set
Shifter boot
Carpet
Complete arm rest bases w/pads
Steering wheel
Antenna
Driver’s side remote mirror
Wiper arms
Complete pedal rubber set
Complete set of plastic trim fasteners

Any sage advice is appreciated or if you have a similar car you restored and kept your punch list. Thank you!
Clayboy

Sounds like a nice find but we really like pics here!
Hopefully the cowl sections are solid as they are known to rust above and below.

Last edited:
You'll probably need to replace every rubber seal on the car...that a norm for one. Bag, and tag, all your hardware, when you pull it. Makes it alot easier to keep track of the correct ones, and where they go.

Go through the suspension. Replace joints, bushings, arms, springs, bars etc. Replace every hose. Flush out the fuel system. Boot the old wiring and put in new. Add additional grounds to the electrical system. There were not enough of them from the factory. If you can, hit the bottom side of the car with degreaser and a pressure washer. Makes working on it waaaay nicer. Flush out the brake system before putting the new stuff in. Old fluid is great for killing weeds too btw.

Auto Transport Service
Back