• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gauge cluster not working, how to check?

Pahighlander

Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
Well after starting with gas gauge sending unit I found I had no power coming from dash. I have checked the fuses and all ok. The car had an extra gauge cluster with it. How can I check the gauge cluster befor I remove the gauge assembly in the dash? Any ideas??

It needs to be grounded to the car....if it's not, nothing will work right if at all.

guage cluster check

How can I check the gauge cluster befor I remove the gauge assembly in the dash? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

A rule of thumb when checking electrical circuits.... Always start at the feed source and work your way through the circuit.

I'm not sure what car your working on but most B-bodys use a circuit board to operate the guages, (except the amp guage). You need an ohm meter.
At the rear of the circuit board is a multi pin connector which feeds the functions of the circuit board, good place to start. There should be a copy of the dash schamatic in your service manual that will identify the circuit paths.
The temp guage usually gets it's feed from the gas guage, which gets a feed from the voltage drop regulator at the rear of the board.
I use a small multi meter with an audible signal that can be found at most hardware stores or radio shack for not much money. Great way to check electrical circuits.

Good luck....

Thanks

Ok, So if I check 12v going to regulator I should see 5v power going to the guages? Is there a way to check the gauges and does some one sell repo gauges? I will be purchasing the RTE regulator from the earlier thread post and im assuming Ill need the gauges too.
Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back