• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas for Broken Bolt in Rear 1/4 Window Frame Brackets?

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
All, I knew there would be a few broken bolts along the way, but already have 2 in a rear 1/4 window frame bracket. They're the bolts that hold the glass in the rear frame (inside of the door). I barely put any pressure on them and they turned/snapped like butter. There is rust on the floor and quarter panel, so 40 years of sitting has caused the bolts to rust. I've tried PB Blaster, Kroil Penetrating Oil and soaking the whole frame in PSC 1000 solvent for a week. I drilled a small hole through the center of one of the broken bolts and tried an easy-out to remove it. Just my luck the tip of the easy-out broke off inside the hole! That tip is a LOT harder than the bolt to try and drill through.

My question is has anyone successfully drilled and rethreaded these frame brackets? They don't seem like they would hold up to rethreading. Tack weld a nut on the backside? Or drill them out and hope I can find a way to put a nut on the backside when I'm reassembling? Has anyone done any of those or have a better solution? Should I plan to replace the frame brackets - they're in good shape otherwise.

Lastly, after cleaning up the channels, bolts, and brackets does anyone coat them with anything to keep the rust from continuing/returning?

Thanks for your advice
Ross

All, I knew there would be a few broken bolts along the way, but already have 2 in a rear 1/4 window frame bracket. They're the bolts that hold the glass in the rear frame (inside of the door). I barely put any pressure on them and they turned/snapped like butter. There is rust on the floor and quarter panel, so 40 years of sitting has caused the bolts to rust. I've tried PB Blaster, Kroil Penetrating Oil and soaking the whole frame in PSC 1000 solvent for a week. I drilled a small hole through the center of one of the broken bolts and tried an easy-out to remove it. Just my luck the tip of the easy-out broke off inside the hole! That tip is a LOT harder than the bolt to try and drill through.

My question is has anyone successfully drilled and rethreaded these frame brackets? They don't seem like they would hold up to rethreading. Tack weld a nut on the backside? Or drill them out and hope I can find a way to put a nut on the backside when I'm reassembling? Has anyone done any of those or have a better solution? Should I plan to replace the frame brackets - they're in good shape otherwise.

Lastly, after cleaning up the channels, bolts, and brackets does anyone coat them with anything to keep the rust from continuing/returning?

Thanks for your advice
Ross
Don't know if its to late or or you have broken all of them, I usually use a smaller head propane torch but with a MAP gas canister to pre-heat before i try removing anything like that.

Don't know if its to late or or you have broken all of them, I usually use a smaller head propane torch but with a MAP gas canister to pre-heat before i try removing anything like that.
How do you do that inside the quarter panel? Do you remove the frame and the glass together?

How do you do that inside the quarter panel? Do you remove the frame and the glass together?
I just usually heat the head of the bolt and let them cool usually enough to expand and contract to free them.

Last edited:
You could try a dremel with a small carbide cutter and maybe save the threads in the frame, but it will be time consuming in the process. Just make sure any glass is appropriately covered with cardboard and duct tape. Any hot metal sparks will pit the glass, and ruin it. If all else fails, after you would have removed the glass, you could take you aluminum frame brackets to a good local welder and have the holes welded up, and you could drill and tap them in the correct spot.

If you have a wire feed welder, weld a nut on the busted off bolt and back it out. Works every time.

All of these ideas work, but remember that taking the brackets out and working on the bench makes it so
much easier. Heating and cooling along with penetrating oil does wonders. If you have some of the bolt threads
sticking out, welding a nut to it helps also. You can also drill a smaller hole in the bolt and put some penetrating
oil on it and then use a die grinder on the small hole to vibrate the hell out of it! Then try a small easy-out. It's
labor intensive but you can save anything if you put your mind to it! Good Luck.

Thanks all - the bracket has been out for a couple weeks soaking in solvent. I'll keep working it with heat and penetrating oil and possibly a Dremel. There's not any broken bolt sticking out of the frame to weld anything to - but last resort will be drilling out completely, filling in (good welder) and redrilling / threading. Thanks

Even if there is no bolt left standing proud, you should still be able to get your wire down in the hole of the nut. Might take a few tries though.

Even if there is no bolt left standing proud, you should still be able to get your wire down in the hole of the nut. Might take a few tries though.
I'll give it a try

Good ideas on repairing. When all done, spray everything with’fluid film’; stuff just plain works.

The frame is aluminum and bolts are steel. The two types of metal react put together hence why they lock up.I drilled them out and re tapped the threads when i resembled them i used a dab of anti cease

Auto Transport Service
Back