• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pressure Gauge

Dave6T4

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge under the dash on my car. It is fed by a straight copper tube. When the engine is idling, the needle bounces all over the place. I have another oil-filled gauge under the hood that registers 70 psi, with no bouncing. Do I need to put a couple of loops in the copper tube, to nullify the bouncing needle? If so, closer to the engine, or to the gauge? Should I buy an oil-filled gauge to replace this one under the dash? Thanks in advance for your input

Melling High Pressure pump, cold engine and oil.

That copper line you are using has been in use for 70 years or more at all different lengths so it shouldn't be the line. I would replace the gauge if it bothered me.

The copper line should have a pigtail in it for vibration, engine to firewall, but that shouldn't cause your needle to fluctuate.

I wouldn't be surprised to see fluctuation with a large line at idle. Especially if it was an unbushed lifter bore roller. But with what I assume is 1/8" copper? Puzzling.
 Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back