• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

one plug not firing

I would set that intake on a shelf and use another along with the felpro pan/gasket lewtot mentioned.
Your never going to know if all the chunks are gone.
Barrow a bore scope or waste a head gasket and check out that cylinder.

good thing it was hard and stuck together. what can I use to get the loose stuff out would a garden hose hurt anything ? used air but like to use something more.
Grit roll and die grinder should make short work of it.

That manifold would be on it's way back to where you got it for a replacement.
You would be extremely lucky if it hasn't already done some damage.
I've found caked hard casting sand in block water jackets, but never in an intake manifold.

That manifold would be on it's way back to where you got it for a replacement.
You would be extremely lucky if it hasn't already done some damage.
I've found caked hard casting sand in block water jackets, but never in an intake manifold.
i think it's fine compression was still good. out of thousands of manifolds made i had to get a bad one lol. just glad i was lucky to see it

The test drive ran perfectly. I don't understand if the intake runner was plugged solid why was the plug wet ?

With that crud in the intake runner, it must have disturbed the air flow. As the gas and air makes it's way from the carb to the cylinder, each time it changes direction, the fuel can momentarily come out of the air stream, and sticks to the wall of the intake. Then it goes dripping into the cylinder, fouling the plug. The debris can also change the flow of the mixture into the cylinder-one section may be extremely lean while another section is so rich that it is like throwing a match into a cup of gasoline-flame out due to not enough oxygen. There was discussion about compression. There is something called a running compression test, that helps to identify valve timing problems-worn lobes of a cam. I'm not saying that is the problem here, but just another test that can give more information. Like a leak down test can't tell you of a intake leak. Most times require several tests to ID the problem. I don't usually just replace parts for a problem. Take a cylinder that is firing, and swap parts into the cylinder that isn't. HTH

The test drive ran perfectly. I don't understand if the intake runner was plugged solid why was the plug wet ?

Probably sucking oil from the crankcase up through the rings.

If you don't feel grit inside the head runner the sand plug might have stayed together. (fingers crossed)

Did you buy the manifold new?

Just happy to see you figured it out! ruffcut

Probably sucking oil from the crankcase up through the rings.

If you don't feel grit inside the head runner the sand plug might have stayed together. (fingers crossed)

Did you buy the manifold new?
yes new. i called edelbrock the warranty dept is going to call me back. like some money back for my trouble.

Auto Transport Service
Back