• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Race gas vs AV gas

Glad Photon pick out / clarified my error. Brain was thinking 5 times the lead... from what we were all told when they took away our 80/87 and made us start using 100LL. 100LL appears to actually have a out 2 to 3 times the lead as it did.

I was always told not to use Av gas as it’s only made to use in aircraft cause they only turn 3500 rpm. Any body else hear this. I think VP fuels stated that. Kim

$1000 per cylinder if you get caught running it in Australia something to do with the lead content

I was always told not to use Av gas as it’s only made to use in aircraft cause they only turn 3500 rpm. Any body else hear this. I think VP fuels stated that. Kim
For the most part they are low rpm, often under 2,700 depending on prop diameter. But there are many smaller aero engines that turn fairly high speeds and use reduction gearing to slow down the propeller. The little Rotax will max out at 5,800 rpm. while the Austro, which is rotary, will spin up to 7,750 rpm. while still using LL100 fuel.

When I was on a pit crew for my friends stock car (406 Chev small block) he ran straight av-gas and turned over 7,000 rpm all the time without problems burning the fuel.

I agree. It's made for a completely different running environment. Anti icing at altitude etc.
1 fuel is made for 1 thing, and the other is for something else.

I agree. It's made for a completely different running environment. Anti icing at altitude etc.
1 fuel is made for 1 thing, and the other is for something else.
And yet, the only down side to using it in a performance automobile (without catalytic converters) seems to be that is harder to obtain. Otherwise, it works well as a high octane fuel. Unless there is water in the fuel, ordinary gasoline shouldn't ice up at altitude either, people use it in the arctic and other cold areas. And many aircraft, such as crop-dusters or piston engine helicopters operate near the ground, just like a car engine. Almost all airplanes are on the ground when they take off, which is generally when they are set to maximum power.

Last edited:
Speaking of buying AV gas does anyone know where I can go in Connecticut with a couple of 5 gallon cans and get some AV gas? My 65 Dodge has 12.5 pistons, and have .060 head gaskets. Don't like doing that.

Speaking of buying AV gas does anyone know where I can go in Connecticut with a couple of 5 gallon cans and get some AV gas? My 65 Dodge has 12.5 pistons, and have .060 head gaskets. Don't like doing that.
Here's a list of Connecticut airfields, both public and private. List of airports in Connecticut - Wikipedia
Why not call the closest ones and ask about buying fuel for off-road use?

To back up a bit, I guess this thread based mostly on
A) being cheap. Letting the wallet do the critical thinking. And,
B) mixing something into your fuel supply. Which is fine, you could mix in damn near anything and it will eventually burn its way out.
The thread title to me strikes more of a chord about actually racing, not burbling around on the street.
And yet, the only down side to using it in a performance automobile (without catalytic converters) seems to be that is harder to obtain. Otherwise, it works well as a high octane fuel.
There is rejetting. Widely accepted across all types of forum boards.
Gaskets drying out. Cant confirm, but thats the general census. Race fuel carbs can sit for years and still be good.
Unless there is water in the fuel, ordinary gasoline shouldn't ice up at altitude either, people use it in the arctic and other cold areas.
You cant be serious. People fall out of the sky from it. Many deaths per year. I would have more concern about that then someone who smoked a doobie and plowed into me at 5.8 mph.
Take Five: Carburetor Icing (TP 2228E - 38)
And many aircraft, such as crop-dusters or piston engine helicopters operate near the ground, just like a car engine.
You're right. And those little 292cc sled engine deals. Ground level and slightly above ground level are very similar.

This stuff....

Sunoco.JPG

Smells SO good!

Sunoco 112.JPG

I ran some in this car 11 years ago:

000 E.JPG

I was trying different octane fuels to see what was needed to stop the detonation. I installed an air fuel gauge with an oxygen sensor so I had to use the rest of my leaded gas somewhere....
So I used it up in my lawn mower. Cutting the grass made it smell like it was 1973 again.

Thanks now to scout them for unmanned pumps or a friendly employee. There are more than I expected.
Many have self serve pumps. Credit card in and some ask for an aircraft registration to allow it to start . Just look at a "N" number as you enter the field.

Many have self serve pumps. Credit card in and some ask for an aircraft registration to allow it to start . Just look at a "N" number as you enter the field.
Thanks! Can you explain what the N means. Could I use a registration from a plane on the field or have on from some plane on a different field.

Thanks! Can you explain what the N means. Could I use a registration from a plane on the field or have on from some plane on a different field.
Add an N in front of your license plate number...... or snag one from a plane in storage at the field.
Get past the self serve one time, it'll remember your cc and plane number from then on.
I get mine from a tiny airport fifteen miles outside a small town. If they get paid, they could care less what I do with it.

This stuff....

View attachment 1680256

Smells SO good!

View attachment 1680257

I ran some in this car 11 years ago:

View attachment 1680258

I was trying different octane fuels to see what was needed to stop the detonation. I installed an air fuel gauge with an oxygen sensor so I had to use the rest of my leaded gas somewhere....
So I used it up in my lawn mower. Cutting the grass made it smell like it was 1973 again.
You could pull the probe and put a plug in it ( :lol: ) , and run the lead again.

Isnt avgas really less than 100 octane? I think I remember reading it RON rated, where pump gas and race gas is RON and MOTOR rated average.

Isnt avgas really less than 100 octane? I think I remember reading it RON rated, where pump gas and race gas is RON and MOTOR rated average.
AV100LL has on octane reading of 100 when leaned out in cruise. It actually has a 130 octane reading when running full rich.

Thanks now to scout them for unmanned pumps or a friendly employee. There are more than I expected.
Many years ago when I was racing around here you could get it easily at the airfield where I have 2 cars currently stored. Would fill up race fuel jugs. Then one day I went and the guy at the pumps said no more and they needed to be metal cans as he wasn't legally allowed to put it in those containers anymore. So I had an old drum from Sunoco Purple, went back and used that just had to pump from it.. I don't know if that was their rule for insurance purposes or it's that way everywhere now so you might want to ask before going..

Many years ago when I was racing around here you could get it easily at the airfield where I have 2 cars currently stored. Would fill up race fuel jugs. Then one day I went and the guy at the pumps said no more and they needed to be metal cans as he wasn't legally allowed to put it in those containers anymore. So I had an old drum from Sunoco Purple, went back and used that just had to pump from it.. I don't know if that was their rule for insurance purposes or it's that way everywhere now so you might want to ask before going..
I just use old 5 gallon race gas cans. I have at least twenty. They are CLEARLY gas cans, and the airport doesn't care....... but Sam's Club won't let me use em for gasoline, cause they are not listed in their little pamphlet of "acceptable" "fuel containers".
Last time I was there I went to Customer service and told them I bought $130 worth of fuel somewhere else because of this policy. (As if they gave a sh#t).

Auto Transport Service
Back