• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 400

erikcroissant

Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
I’ll be pulling my stock (most likely) 1978 400 motor from my 68 Coronet soon. Need to do some work on the exhaust and replace the oil pan. Is there anything I should be checking/doing while I have the motor out?

May also be a good opportunity to try and get some more power out of it, if anyone has suggestions on that front I’d love to hear them.

I’ll be pulling my stock (most likely) 1978 400 motor from my 68 Coronet soon. Need to do some work on the exhaust and replace the oil pan. Is there anything I should be checking/doing while I have the motor out?

May also be a good opportunity to try and get some more power out of it, if anyone has suggestions on that front I’d love to hear them.
Freeze Plugs.

Why are you pulling the motor? Not needed to replace the oil pan (fyi)

It depends on how many miles are on it. An overall re seal with new freeze plugs not a bad idea. New timing chain set would be high on my list.

After that how far are you willing to go?

Valve job and some porting on the heads? Milling some for compression? Might as well replace that cast iron boat anchor of an intake............easy to snowball out of control.

Recurve the distributor? Replace the cam and lifters ?

Auto Transport Service
Back