• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 Fury cut wires

jippek

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

since my SM is stuck in the starting point, I would need some help identifying wires.

At the battery location, there are two cut wires. One brown coming the firewall and one black going towards lights. Can someone verify what has been cut off?
82250F50-C3CC-4735-BD9B-3CA0BEAC8E16.jpeg

D3AF08CD-381B-4BA8-B40E-375D2A37BCC8.jpeg

Without a FSM I am just guessing. Could be fuse links that were cut out. Lots of them had the fuse links in a group.

This is only a guess, but the black wire is most likely a ground, as quite a few Mopars have a black ground wire in the battery area grounded to the radiator support. Now, mind you, this is only a guess without a wiring diagram for your car. ruffcut

This is only a guess, but the black wire is most likely a ground, as quite a few Mopars have a black ground wire in the battery area grounded to the radiator support. Now, mind you, this is only a guess without a wiring diagram for your car. ruffcut
Yes, you might be right, there was a ground at radiator support, have to check if that was the other end.

I’ll try to follow where the brown wire goes, I will anyway change the taping.

Funny how big secret the wiring diagram for this year model is since I cannot find it anywhere. And as it seems to got lost at USPS, I won’t be receiving my copy any time soon…

Repairing/replacing things on a car like yours would be hard enough in the USA. I commend you my friend for taking on such a daunting task in your country! Hope you get things sorted out soon. ruffcut

This is just a shot in the dark also but the brown wire may be for the neutral starting switch on the transmission?

That wire would go to the starter relay

Repairing/replacing things on a car like yours would be hard enough in the USA. I commend you my friend for taking on such a daunting task in your country! Hope you get things sorted out soon. ruffcut
Thanks. I was surprised how little information om -78 Fury there is even on this forum. I’ve built -67 Sport Fury conv., -71 Duster and -79 D150 and parts and information has been fairly easy available. But I had no clue how rare this Fury was

oh well, we spent yesterday welding and sorting out the wiring, and I think I got the wiring sorted out. Just a couple weekends and we shoul have it running.

This is just a shot in the dark also but the brown wire may be for the neutral starting switch on the transmission?

That wire would go to the starter relay
There was one brown wire coming from the lean burn system (or what was left of it) to the starter relay, but I think the wire from transmission was some other color. But thanks, I will check that.

JP

There was one brown wire coming from the lean burn system (or what was left of it) to the starter relay, but I think the wire from transmission was some other color. But thanks, I will check that.

JP
Just an update, the FSM arrived today and I think the brown is actually the washer pump power.
5398478F-649D-44D5-97BB-B5793017B3A3.jpeg

I looked at my Fury which has very original wiring and both the brown and black wires go to the windshield washer.

Auto Transport Service
Back