• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4L80E behind big block Mopar

At one point I bought a bellhousing conversion that consisted of an aluminum ring about 1 1/2" thick that had the GM bolt pattern on tranny side and the Mopar bolt pattern on the other. Basically a pieces of crap as you had the starter on correct side for Mopar but you had to fabricate some type of shroud to encase starter nose and a cover plate to cover the GM side. I tried to make it work but didn't like the results....seemed rather weak and "K-martish". I junked it and send 4L80 off to TCI for the slab off package, bellhousing already made up plus the shifter package.... much better!

rolling_Thunder the quick time bellousing does bolt to the pump , but the pump mounting surface is not flat!!
The holes in the bell are drilled bigger than the mounting bolts, so it can be moved aroung!!! adapter ring would need to be maching, but i did read somewhere that after you do all that work the Bell is not square.

Mocajava very good info their, thank you.
Im just going to run a computer for the box only.
I do have a question.....what flexplate did you use?? and did you have trouble getting a converter made up?

I got the flexplate and converter from TCI as part of the package, I even have one for sale on this site because they sent me a second one .

Mocajava,

With the extra height of the hump, will it clear the factory heater box and with the extra width, does it interfere with the stock location of the accelerator pedal? Thank you.

im in the process of wanting to fit a 4L80E transmission572 hemi in a 69 Dodge Charger.
Has anybody here done this conversion?
I have a tranny here and purchased a quick time BELLHOUSING to adapt it but I'm not impressed with how it needs to be attached.
I've been discussing options with Jakes performance who does a Reid BELLHOUSING conversion/adapter system.
Does anyone here have any advice and knowledge on this please!
A GM 4L80E Transmission is a 4 speed longitudinal mounted (4L) 80 (duty with a designated number of specific clutch/planetary gear assemblies) with an electronic shifted clutches AND electrically applied torque converter clutch (E) and REQUIRES the GM computer to operate correctly. The engine sensors feed the computer to shift (apply) the clutches in a specific order. WHY would you want to install it in a MOPAR?? Assuming you could find the adapters.....???? Just curious.....
BOB RENTON

Ya I don’t get it either. An Ultra bell and a 518 or 46RH seems like a better fit to me.

A GM 4L80E Transmission is a 4 speed longitudinal mounted (4L) 80 (duty with a designated number of specific clutch/planetary gear assemblies) with an electronic shifted clutches AND electrically applied torque converter clutch (E) and REQUIRES the GM computer to operate correctly. The engine sensors feed the computer to shift (apply) the clutches in a specific order. WHY would you want to install it in a MOPAR?? Assuming you could find the adapters.....???? Just curious.....
BOB RENTON
Because a 4L80 can be built to handle 3000hp, like a TH400, UNLIKE a 727. Or a 518, or 46 RH.
I'd rather have a built glide behind 1200 hp than a 727.

727or TH400. Six one way half a dozen the other way. Built 4L80 or 518, 46RH. Chrysler transmission for the win.

I see no reason why a properly machined adapter plate would work any differently than a new bell housing. If the dowels are all on centerline, apples are apples. The GM converter is thicker so it needs the extra length anyway. That being said Reid's quality speaks for itself.
Doug

Same difference the other way. No reason to not buy a proper bellhousing and use a transmission that requires less mods to install in the car.
If your going to go TH400 you may as well go Ford AOD. ITS Probably stronger stock then the chevy and Chrysler

Because a 4L80 can be built to handle 3000hp, like a TH400, UNLIKE a 727. Or a 518, or 46 RH.
Which is probably the reason that Dodge used a TH400 for their Drag Pack Challengers.

Why do many need a 3000hp capable trans in a less than 1000hp application? Especially with all the related mods to install it? Personally a GM 4L60 or a 200 4R would be an easier fit. Even a better trans? I'd be leaning to a ZF 8HP70. The amount of fuel cost savings will never be recouped with the additional cost.
Doug

But.....what is the total installed cost of such a conversation? A THM cannot be compared to the 4L80E other than it was designed/built by GM.....the 4L80E is totally electrically controlled via the onboard computer; the THM is hydraulically controlled via a mechanical governor and mechanical throttle positioner device. There are too many cost variables. What would be the cost to "build" the 4L80E to accept the TORQUE DEVELOPED BY a 3000 hp engine @ what RPM......just curious.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back