• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake lights/taillights not illuminating

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I read on the forum that if I had no brake lights the most likely reason for them not working was the turn signal switch. I had turn signals working and my headlights working. I have replaced all the bulbs in the tail light assembly. When I turn my lights on the rear lights do not illuminate. When I press on the brake pedal, the brake lights do not illuminate. So I installed a brand new turn signal switch yesterday in the steering column I also tested the white wire from my turn signal switch that goes into the plug under the dash. I have no power to that wire. I then ran a ground wire from my battery all the way to the tail light assembly and the brake lights did not illuminate. I have my electrical diagram and I'm trying to trace the wires. I have changed the light switch twice on this car in the last two years. First question: Is there any correlation between the light switch and the rear lights not coming on with the headlights? Second question: is there another brake switch underneath the dash that may be the culprit? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, there's a brake light switch under the dash. You'll see the plunger against the brake pedal arm. It could be out of adjustment.

I had a similar issue. Discovered it was not grounded properly.

My service manual shows the brake switch Part#8-58-60 for a Belvedere and Coronet ( see attached photo) but that claims to not fit a Charger. The Charger has an actuator 8-58-66 , second attached photo from the service manual. I'll take a look under my dash this weekend and see what I have.

Service Manual brake light switch.jpg

Brake  stop actuator Charger only part.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back