• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock AVS2 Linkage Question

Throttle return spring bracket for non-a/c.
1714103262815.png

Last edited:
Can you take some better photos. Maybe in better light? Or a flash.
What are the return springs connected to?
Do you have a/c?
I can tomorrow, I have an AC car originally, but none of the components are left, were removed before we ever bought it.

With a/c
1714098593375.png

Look how the throttle cable fits in the blue bracket. I believe that was the 2bbl unit I bent up trying to make it work.

Last edited:
Thanks a million! I'll get better pictures when I get home from work this evening, and I'll check on that bracket, as you're correct, no tension on the spring so that's why I had to use the old spring! I'll try to fix the linkage per your comments above. I can't thank you enough for your comments, you've been a HUGE help!

Now, there is too much tension.
I think the return spring bracket is supposed to be in the end intake bolt.

I think you're over thinking this. If it works and it's safe, you're good to go.
I haven't bought anything specific ever to make a linkage work, other than generic nuts or bolts from the hardware store. I usually just go to my stash.
Once you're into aftermarket carbs and intakes you need to do little hot-rodding to make it work.
20240428_070337.jpg

I finally was able to get the rough running issues resolved! However, I’ve been trying to adjust my kickdown linkage and throttle cable properly. It seems to shift fine, and when I test the kickdown it is all the way back/down on the transmission when at WOT. I even checked the position of the lever that moves on the transmission and it is as far as it will go.

When I drove it and floor it, the 4 bbl locks in then a second later the kickdown works.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Fine tuning.
Try adjusting it so the kickdown is fully back slightly before you are at WOT.
It shouldn't affect you opening up the throttle fully - there's enough play in the linkages to allow this.

Fine tuning.
Try adjusting it so the kickdown is fully back slightly before you are at WOT.
It shouldn't affect you opening up the throttle fully - there's enough play in the linkages to allow this.
Thank you, I’m testing it now!

I have a new AVS2 on the way as well as the throttle adapter for Chrysler cars (Edelbrock part #1481), as my linkage on my Holley that I'm replacing isn't correct. I also ordered the stud for that linkage setup as well (Part # 8007). The only thing left to order is the rod extender, but there are two options:

1. 1/4" rod extender (part # 8003)
2. 5/16" rod extender (part # 8004)

My car is a 1969 Dodge Charger with a stock build (but bored 0.60 over) and an Edelbrock intake that has DP4B stamped on the top. I have the factory 727 automatic throttle cable and kickdown turnbuckle style lever, but it's rigged up with nuts and bolts to the Holley I'm replacing rather than proper hardware.

Does anyone know which one I need? Does it depend on the size of the hole on the carburetor linkage? Does it depend on the size of the shoulder stud I just purchased (part #8007)? If so, what have you guys used? Thanks in advance for the help! Trying to order it and get it shipped and here before the weekend!
My factory to Eddie is a 1/4" 24 tpi. I got a bolt from the hardware store, sawed off the top and used it to extend the linkage. Works perfectly. Good luck.

Instead of running those two springs side by side you should be able to run the smaller spring inside of the larger spring. That’s how I have mine set up.

Auto Transport Service
Back