• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering wheel nut

barryv

Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
how tight should steering wheel nut be for a 1970 road runner.do they sell new steering wheel nut anywhere.thanks

Go here, download the 1970 manual (for free), and go to section 19 for steering, and you will find your answer

when I tightened nut down horn would not stop beeping. I don't have any grounded wires etc.,so that's now driving me crazy. it started to beep occasionally when I would turn wheel,when driving. I dealt with it for years and finally decided to take wheel off.now its worse.do you know were to purchase new nut and is there supposed to be a washer as well.thanks

The nut isn't the issue. It's your horn contacts.
Ensure its grounded correctly. Download the manual and get back to us.

when I tightened nut down horn would not stop beeping. I don't have any grounded wires etc.,so that's now driving me crazy. it started to beep occasionally when I would turn wheel,when driving. I dealt with it for years and finally decided to take wheel off.now its worse.do you know were to purchase new nut and is there supposed to be a washer as well.thanks

These guys are correct about your horn. That nut does NOT have a washer though it looks like it should have one.

The single black wire going to your horn mechanism (3" diameter black & metal circle behind wheel) is for the horn. When it is grounded, the horn beeps. When the horn mechanism is attached correctly, it sort of "floats" over the center metal base of the steering wheel itself (which is grounded when attached to the column with the big nut you're talking about). The horn pad/button/ring is attached to that "floating" horn mechanism. When you push the horn, the "floating horn mechanism" touches the steering wheel base (gets grounded) and the horn beeps.

Your problem is that your horn mechanism, or that single black wire, is getting grounded when you don't want it to. Maybe the horn mechanism is loose? Maybe that black wire has a bare spot and is hitting the inside of the column or something? (getting grounded somewhere else)

If you end up needing a good used correct original 70 steering wheel nut i have some PM me

I could use a nut if you have one.mine is kind of messed up.how much do you want for it.thanks for your help

A lug nut is the same thread as your steering wheel nut, 1/2" 20. You just need to cut it down to remove the taper.

Auto Transport Service
Back