• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Will It Run?

Looking forward to your results. My combo is the same compression cam is almost exact and Victor heads, with a super Victor and 1050.

After a very long, very frustrating, and VERY expensive saga, I finally have a running motor back in my car, complete with new block and new heads. I will spare you the gory details, but here are the spec's of what I have now:

440 based 512
12.7:1 compression
indy -1 heads
indy 440-25 intake
dual eddy 750's
comp cams camshaft 683int/668exh, 274int/282exh, 108lsa
1.5 T&D Rockers
5,000 rpm stall
4:30 gears
29in tall radial slicks
3418 with fuel and me in it

Not sure when I will get to the track to test, but anyone want to take guess. Previous best was 10.22 with 12.7:1 comp, edelbrock victor heads, and smaller cam.
0505241442.jpg

Last edited:
I think 5000 may be tight on the converter. Other than tat get your welder out and weld the hood shut.
Doug

Sorted & after tune, I don't see why it won't run 9.99 or better...
after been a long (expensive) haul & learning curve

Good luck, you deserve a lil' glory

Made it to the track last night. I left very disappointed and frustrated.

Made 3 runs and then packed up.

60' 1.468 1.491 1.487
330 4.257 4.301 4.284
1/8 6.650 6.714 6.686
mph 102.39 101.32 101.90
1000 8.740 8.825 8.785
1/4 10.527 10.633 10.583
mph 125.59 124.18 124.79

For perspective, the same bottom end with a smaller cam (spec'd for the motor when it had 10.5:1 compression) and the Edelbrock Victor heads went 10.22 @ 129.53 and was consistently in the mid 10.20's.

I have a couple of thoughts on why it may have performed so poorly, but otherwise, I am at a loss. First, the fuel I was running (110 octane race gas) had been in a fuel can in my shop for about 6 months. Could that have been an issue? Second, the carbs could have been gunked up from sitting for months. I did pull the tops off and do a light cleaning of them prior to reinstalling and didn't notice anything obvious that could have caused a performance issue.

I realize you spent a pile of money getting the engine back together, but……to this point at least……… your experience highlights the fact that no matter how much “better” a particular combo looks on paper, unless you’re duplicating a proven package(to the letter), then you don’t really know what you have until you test it.
Had it been put on the dyno(the same one as before), if the new combo made less power, then a slower on track performance would have been expected.

As it stands now, you’re back to a point of trying to determine where the missing ET went.
Is the engine making less power than before?
Or is it something else entirely?

I’d def start out by cleaning out the carbs and getting fresh fuel.
Go thru the valve lash, double check timing, make sure you’re getting full throttle, etc.

FWIW, I’ve only tested one engine with the Indy box ram on it.
That motor just kept responding to more and more jet.
It had Carter 750’s on it.

Does the car have a wide band gauge in it?

Does the converter seem to flash as high as it did with previous combo?

Last edited:
All of the incrementals look correct for the the ET's. so it doesn't look like you are running out of gas, misfiring, or spinning. Double check wide open throttle and timing. Maybe shift points ?? but that would not effect 60ft and those 60ft's translate to 10.50's+ so that probably not the issue. FWIW I have run old race gas (7 months 0ld) with no noticeable problems. Did the motor feel lazy? Slow to Rev?

Auto Transport Service
Back