• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel & Tire Combo for 64 2Dr Hardtop

Passenger side second

I did my measurements from the face of the axle where the wheel would mount
If I did it correctly let me know

Horizontal wheel well opening: 31"
Face to drum to inner lip of fender (driver/passenger): 7"/7"
Face of drum to leaf spring: 6.5"/6.5'
Opening from outer quarter panel to inner wheel well: 14.5"/14.5"

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

I took a few more photos with the solid steel wheels mounted.
From the outer most edge of the wheel to the lip of the quarter panel (driver/passenger): 3"/3"
From the inner most edge of the wheel to the leaf spring (driver/passenger): 2.5"/2.5"

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

Since you don't have the original 64 tapered axle rearend in it, all 64 width concerns are out the window.
What I would do is bolt up the 15x7 and see if the backspace works with the rear you have ( basically centered in the wheelwell.)
If it is, you can probably put an appropriate width tire on it. Personally, iwould run a 255/70x15 . Nice tall tire to fill up the wheelwell, as wide as i would run on a 7" rim. A 265 70x15 can also be used on a 7, but that is the biggest recommended. A little taller and a little wider.
I would NOT buy any t/a radials. If you have to have white letters, there are better choices.

From your measurements in #22, that wheel is virtually perfect, you can probably put the widest tire that is recommended for a 7" wheel on your car.

255/70/15 on a 65 Belvedere 7'' rim 4'' backspace.

IMG_2738.jpg

From your measurements in #22, that wheel is virtually perfect, you can probably put the widest tire that is recommended for a 7" wheel on your car.
Awesome! I'm glad I provided good measurements and information. I still like the Mickey Thompson tire but I'll explore the 265/70X15 as mentioned in post #24.
I'll stay away from t/a radials, not a problem. Is there a brand that is recommended?

Awesome! I'm glad I provided good measurements and information. I still like the Mickey Thompson tire but I'll explore the 265/70X15 as mentioned in post #24.
I'll stay away from t/a radials, not a problem. Is there a brand that is recommended?
Do you want driver tires, street racer tires, or look-at-me tires?
Driver tires- Cooper Cobras or equivalent mickeys. Mickey name is prettier, more money. 99%same tire, both made by Cooper (in USA too, I believe)
Street racer tires- Mickey or Hoosier drag radials, in appropriate size.
Look at me- pie crust cheater slicks. Costly... but seriously cool. (Towel city for recaps, Speedway for new firestones... or ebay or amazon)
Edit: summit racing has Hoosier vintage that look cool, as well as a Diamondback 1000-15 semi look-alike for $300, about half what a Firestone real new piecrust cheater costs.

Last edited:
Do you want driver tires, street racer tires, or look-at-me tires?
Driver tires- Cooper Cobras or equivalent mickeys. Mickey name is prettier, more money.
Street racer tires- Mickey or Hoosier drag radials, in appropriate size.
Look at me- pie crust cheater slicks. Costly... but seriously cool. (Towel city for recaps, Speedway for new firestones... or ebay or amazon)
Edit: summit racing has Hoosier vintage that look cool, as well as a Diamondback 1000-15 semi look-alike for $300, about half what a Firestone real new piecrust cheater costs.
Your 62 looks rad!
Looking for driver tires. I only have 420hp out of my 383 and I am putting in a 2.76 rear gear for freeway travel. I want the Mickey tires but it's a costly pill to swallow.
I was looking at Cooper Cobra website and I found this for the rear:
255/70x15
Cooper Cobra Radial G/T | RWL | 255/70R15

For 2 of those, I can buy purchase 1 MT tire. That sounds like a better deal

Your 62 looks rad!
Looking for driver tires. I only have 420hp out of my 383 and I am putting in a 2.76 rear gear for freeway travel. I want the Mickey tires but it's a costly pill to swallow.
I was looking at Cooper Cobra website and I found this for the rear:
255/70x15
Cooper Cobra Radial G/T | RWL | 255/70R15

For 2 of those, I can buy purchase 1 MT tire. That sounds like a better deal
Agree. T/A's aren't as good as they used to be, and are about $40 /tire more than the cooper's. No brainer.

You could also look at Mastercraft. Also a Cooper brand, also a white letter tire.
255 70x15 Mastercraft at Walmart, $116 bucks.
Edit: Walmart site says $130, Google mastercraft 255 70 15, add says 116 at Walmart. I'd bring the Google add to your,local store and ask for that price.

Last edited:
Copper owns several tire brands, all good in my opinion.
Over the years I have run the Cooper Cobra's along with Mastercraft.
I now use their Hercules Ironman series for the last few years on 3 cars and my 1 ton.

Hello FBBO!
I made progress!
I had my wheels media blasted, powder coated, balanced the wheels, and had them mounted to Cooper Cobra tires and here is the result.
The tires fit on all 4 corners perfectly!
I think it turned out great and I love the look.
Thank you everybody who commented and made good suggestions.

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back