• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A body brakes on a B

Chilsam

Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
I have 70 B Body I'm thinking at putting front disc brakes on. I've located a complete set up for a 73 Dart, what will I need for the swap ? THANX!

If you have the ‘complete’ swap you’ll need 4 new cotter pins and hand to bleed the brakes when you’re done. Just bolt em on.

I’m assuming you have the spindles, caliper brackets, rotors, bearings, seals, hoses, calipers, pads with hardware, and lug nuts (if yours were LH thread)

If you didn’t grab the 73 a body disc proportioning valve get one. You’ll also want a disc brake master cylinder. You may want to consider a 2 post conversion here. Doctor diff sells those both.

Last edited:
And if you decide you want to use the 11.75" rotors[ you'll need 15" wheels for this], its just a matter of getting a pair of rotors and caliper brackets for the larger units.

And if you decide you want to use the 11.75" rotors[ you'll need 15" wheels for this], its just a matter of getting a pair of rotors and caliper brackets for the larger units.
Yes I have 15 x 10 for back 15 X 8 for the front

If you have the ‘complete’ swap you’ll need 4 new cotter pins and hand to bleed the brakes when you’re done. Just bolt em on.

I’m assuming you have the spindles, caliper brackets, rotors, bearings, seals, hoses, calipers, pads with hardware, and lug nuts (if yours were LH thread)

If you didn’t grab the 73 a body disc proportioning valve get one. You’ll also want a disc brake master cylinder. You may want to consider a 2 post conversion here. Doctor diff sells those both.
If you aren't using a swaybar, would the preference be to put them on the front?

The calipers should be mounted on the front for better hose routing. The 70 up sway bar should clear.
glad u brought that up...My 70 Coronet 440 came with a sway bar that is much thicker than the 70 Coronet R/T sway bar that came with the 70 R/T front clip I picked up ??. The R/T's brackets are welded on the lower control arms while the 440's is bolted on?..Everything about it is bigger ???

If you aren't using a swaybar, would the preference be to put them on the front?
For 69 and down yes. 1970 and up has the sway bar routed through the Center of the k member so it’s a non issue to mount either way. If you choose to mount them to the rear you’re looking for a 15” brake hose and calipers from a 85 ish diplomat so you can get the inlet at the bottom and the bleed at the top. If you google or ‘rock auto’ a brake hose for 1969 camaro with disc brakes those work well for rear mounted installations. Otherwise A body calipers and hoses work for front mounted installations. Which is the preferred method so you’re able to get the best hose geometry.

For 69 and down yes. 1970 and up has the sway bar routed through the Center of the k member so it’s a non issue to mount either way. If you choose to mount them to the rear you’re looking for a 15” brake hose and calipers from a 85 ish diplomat so you can get the inlet at the bottom and the bleed at the top. If you google or ‘rock auto’ a brake hose for 1969 camaro with disc brakes those work well for rear mounted installations. Otherwise A body calipers and hoses work for front mounted installations. Which is the preferred method so you’re able to get the best hose geometry.
Thanks. Finally putting some on my racecar. 10" drums at 120 are sketchy. Now hoping for above 125 and " it's time".

Your coronet 440 has an aftermarket sway bar on it. The factory welded on the brackets. The biggest sway bar the factory made that year that would fit your car was .94" which was used on the T/A E bodies, and the R/T would have a .88" bar. There is no guarantee that front mounted calipers would fit with a non stock sway bar set up.

glad u brought that up...My 70 Coronet 440 came with a sway bar that is much thicker than the 70 Coronet R/T sway bar that came with the 70 R/T front clip I picked up ??. The R/T's brackets are welded on the lower control arms while the 440's is bolted on?..Everything about it is bigger ???
Where is your sway bar mounted? Post a picture maybe. If for whatever reason yours sway bar is mounted in front of the k-member you’ll likely have to rear mount the calipers.

Where is your sway bar mounted? Post a picture maybe. If for whatever reason yours sway bar is mounted in front of the k-member you’ll likely have to rear mount the calipers.
It's disassembled right now...1 of the 2 did go thru the K member ...I THINK it was the R/T ??..I'll have to dig & lay them out with their control arms n K members on the floor to make sure

these are not mine but these are the ones I have that are disassembled ... the location & size diff is evident
1716392641225.jpeg
1716392563790.png

The larger one came on the red coronet avatar pic...a plain jane 318 auto with 8.75 Truetrak with small drums ???

The larger one came on the red coronet avatar pic...a plain jane 318 auto with 8.75 Truetrak with small drums ???
Not sure what you're asking, but for swaybar sizes put a 7/8 or a 15/16 wrench on them to figure out dia

The crunched off h pipe is interesting on the 70

Auto Transport Service
Back