• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘68 Charger Center Console Reverse Light Wiring

dfrazz

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
Looking for help on my ‘68 Charger reverse light wiring. I’ve never had a ‘68 center console auto, so this is new to me. I understand there is a connection on the shifter that controls when the reverse lights come on, but that’s it. Here is what my current set up looks like, but the lights are not working. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg

Unhook the battery, put an ohm meter on those two wires at the switch and see if it opens and closes when you put it into Reverse. If it works.. the issue is elsewhere!

In reverse top wire read .09 and bottom .10. Bulbs look good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
What are you reading? You want ohms ACROSS the two connections... showing switch open or switch closed with battery disconnected. If the switch is good then you need to search, check, to see if the wires are actually connected into the body harness.

Checking for continuity on both connections I get no change (stays at 1) on my reader in reverse.

Ok will do and check it. Thanks for your help.

Jumper worked and when I looked on the other side the white plastic knob attached to the spring is broke off. So it’s a new switch for me.

Found a new switch thanks to @robert horman! Question for the group - does anyone know the trick to installing this switch in a '68 center console auto? It seems the shifter needs to engage the knob that sticks out, so do I move the shifter into D2 or compress the spring to move the knob up or is there another way?

Finally replaced the switch and thought I would add some pointers here to help anyone else trying to do this. The switch is held in with two 3/8” bolts on the bottom of the bracket and very difficult to reach with a tool. The metal bracket holding the plastic switch interferes with the bolt head so I ended up using a small 1/4” drive thin walled wobbly socket.

IMG_0441.jpeg

The lever on my switch that engages the shifter to activate the reverse lights was broken off. The lever is spring loaded and moves to the forward position when the shifter is in park, then back in reverse to activate the switch and reverse lights, and further back after the shifter is in neutral. It is important to note where the original switch is mounted in the two oblong bolt holes on the switch bracket to correctly engage the shifter.

IMG_0597.jpeg

Last edited:
I unplugged the 2-prong wire connector and used the wobbly socket to remove the two bottom bolts. You can see here the switches compared to each other and the lever that must engage the shifter.

IMG_0439.jpeg

When installing the new switch, move the shifter into drive first. The bolt holes on the switch bracket are oblong so you can slide the switch back and forth to the correct position to engage the shifter when in reverse. After the switch is installed, check to make sure the shifter is engaging the lever on the switch correctly, plug in the wire connector and install the console top plate.

IMG_0430.jpeg

IMG_0424.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back