• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger four speed shifter

Rangepony

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1966 Dodge Charger to go with my 64 Plymouth Fury Convertible.....

The car is a factory 383 4BBL 4 spd....the T-handle on the shifter doesn't work but looking on-line I'm not so sure it should have a lock out....

Can someone send me a picture of an original 4-spd shifter handle? The car is already slightly modified (I got all the original parts with the purchase) and I don't have a problem putting a Hurst shifter in it if the original is too expensive. Shifter needs a rebuild anyway as it's sloppy...

Thanks

Happy.jpg

Here's what they look like in pieces. Might be a broken cable. Loose nuts on the rod and levers assemblies can cause sloppiness.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 4.58.12 PM.png

The Inland shifters were problematic even new. Hurst will be a much better option if you are nit worried about originality.
Doug

They were good enough to win in stock classes in 1967. I like them fine. Easy to use lock out too. Have always liked mine.

If the reverse t-ring doesn’t do anything and you vcan get into reverse, you might already have a Hurst with a stock Mopar handle on it. I think it’s Brewer that has sold a number of these as well as some others. Pretty much have to get underneath to see what’s up there. My 66 has a Hurst shifter with a Mopar handle. The t-ring just goes along for the ride.

IMG_0627.jpeg

I once built a phantom 1967 R/T wagon, complete with 440, 4-speed. I adapted an Inland handle to a Hurst shifter to keep a factory look. The T-bar no longer worked, and I put a spring under the shifter knob to keep it from rattling.

scan0001[2].jpg

Thanks guys....I definitely have the correct handle so next step is to go under and see what's what....just got the car and was wondering.

Back