• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Plymouth Certified Speedometer?

Johnny Rocket

Local time
10:27 AM
Reaction score
So my 62 Plymouth 2 door has a certified speedometer? I was watching the Steve Mags video on his police car and he indicated that a certified speedometer was available on police cars and the like. So I am wondering why my 2 door post car may have come with one or during its restoration did someone just install it?
speed.jpg

Start with the vin., then a build sheet? if all fails use common sense, like if it came with a slant 6 it probably was not a squad.

As Magnante stated, iirc, his also has all the other police parts, dual pully high output alternator, specific wheels with tabs that take specific caps, etc.
Speedo might have just been added during resto, or someone on the assembly line installed for whatever reason.

I once had a '62 Dart ex-OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) cruiser with a "Certified" speedometer. It was a 2-door sedan with 313, 3-speed manual on the column. It had 11" brakes and 15" rims that had the tabs to mount small hubcaps, like ones used on pickup trucks. It also had the zipper in the headliner to access the red light and siren. There was also a patch on the passenger front fender where the "Stop/Police" light was removed. I replaced the original powertrain with an almost new 1967 383, 4-barrel, 4-speed from a junkyard wreck. $500.00 for the car in 1967, and $500.00 for the motor and trans. Pretty well made myself a 1962 Super Bee for $1000.00.
I once took a "Certified" gauge cluster out of a junkyard Police Diplomat and installed it in my 1987 5th. Ave. The speedometer read up to 240 K., instead of normal 160 K.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back