• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 413 bored out to 426?

Krunk

Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
okay, need some guidance... If I have a 1964 413 that was bored out to a 426 with 11 - 1 compression, is that a "Max-wedge"?
It has the factory Mopar crossram dual quad manifold, and stage 6 aluminum heads... what emblems should be on the valve covers?

Thanks for the help... sort of new here and the site is awesome.
vr,
Dan

Hell, People Are Using 440 Blocks Today For Max-Wedge Motors Because They Either Can't Find A Real 426, Can't Afford A 426, Or The Bottom End Is Much Stronger Than A Maxie! Your 413 Is Fine...Remember Those Motors Started Out As 413's In'62. You Can Buy 413 Or 426 Superstock Decals For Your Valvecovers! Real Max-Wedge Castings Numbers Are 2406730 And 2532230 For The 63-64 Blocks! At Some Point In Your Max-Wedge Build Your Going To Have To Determine That Your Using Real Parts(For The Purist) Or 440 Parts For A Look Alike And Stronger Engine!

got it... its in a car I'm looking at buying, described as a max wedge from 64' - with 11 - 1 compression, factory x ram manifold, he said it was bored out to a 426, so was trying to educate myself a bit on it... guess i need the numbers on the block before I can be sure exactly what it is.

Not exactly on topic, but the only difference between a 426 Max Wedge block and a 426 street wedge block are the valve reliefs in the cylinders. The casting numbers and everything else are the same on the blocks. Of course, the innards are different.

it has stage 6 aluminum heads on it, still waiting on the casting numbers off the block

Hell, People Are Using 440 Blocks Today For Max-Wedge Motors Because They Either Can't Find A Real 426, Can't Afford A 426, Or The Bottom End Is Much Stronger Than A Maxie! Your 413 Is Fine...Remember Those Motors Started Out As 413's In'62. You Can Buy 413 Or 426 Superstock Decals For Your Valvecovers! Real Max-Wedge Castings Numbers Are 2406730 And 2532230 For The 63-64 Blocks! At Some Point In Your Max-Wedge Build Your Going To Have To Determine That Your Using Real Parts(For The Purist) Or 440 Parts For A Look Alike And Stronger Engine!

And how do you figure the 440 "bottom end" is stronger than a max wedge ?

X2!!

I'm Talking About My Own 440 Which Was Not Stock...The Bottom End Had 440Source Crank & H-Beam Rods, Ross Pistons, 440Source Aluminum Stealth Heads With Manley Severe Duty 2.14 x 1.81 Stainless Steel Valves Opposed To An NOS Basically Stock 426 Max-Wedge! Which One Do You Think Is Stronger? I Would Not Enjoy Going Out And Trying To Run A NOS Stock Max-Wedge In Competetion As Hard As That 440! You Bust Up Or Blow That 426 And The New Old Stock Parts Are Gone And Unavailable! There Are Only So Many Pieces Left That Are Original Is What I'm Trying To Say! You Toss the Rods Out Of An Original 426 It Will Cost You More Money To Fix Then The 440! That's Why They Use 440 Bottom Ends In Newer Max-Wedge Builds!

got it... its in a car I'm looking at buying, described as a max wedge from 64' - with 11 - 1 compression, factory x ram manifold, he said it was bored out to a 426, so was trying to educate myself a bit on it... guess i need the numbers on the block before I can be sure exactly what it is.
Before you plunk down top dollar for a Max Wedge car, check EVERYTHING! There are hundreds of fake Max Wedge cars out there and a lot of unscrupulous people willing to tell you its real when in fact it isn't. A clone will be worth about half (at most) what a true Max Wedge car will be worth. Remember, buyer beware.

Exactly, dont let a seller talk you into believeing a max wedge car is lagibt, just beacuse the block is a 426, like you said the seller states it has beeb bored to a 426, so what is it? Coukd be a motorhome block for all we know. Good luck with the sale, hope it goes in your favor

Couldn't you measure the head ports? I ask cause I dont know.

casting number is 1852029-4 (what is the "dash 4")

and the "AAQA" with a 4 R is present as well.

need some feedback from all of you experts on here, number lines up but not the year, according to the mopar numbers they didnt make a 413 in 1964.

Updated Info:

There Where Five 413 Blocks Built During The 60's--1959 Thru 1965: Block Casting #1852029 Is A 413 Max-Wedge & Truck Motor-This Is A True Max-Wedge Block! Casting #2120529-#22005697-#2468030 And #2658836 Were An Assortment Of 413 Blocks For Passenger Cars And The Industrial Motor.

The -4 Number At the End of The Casting Number Is The Tooling Revision Number, Meaning, That During The Pouring Of These Blocks, Meant How Many Times The Tooling (Core Molds) Have Been Reconditioned Back To the Proper Specs. The Molds Wear Out As They Are Used, So Quality Control Keeps The Tooling Specs True. The Earlier The Number, The Better The Casting.

If You Have The Casting Number #1852029 It Is A 413 Max-Wedge Block! Congratulations, You Have An Early Maxie! Not Sure As Too Price, But It All Depends On How Bad You Want A Real Max-Wedge Block!

Updated Info:

There Where Five 413 Blocks Built During The 60's--1959 Thru 1965: Block Casting #1852029 Is A 413 Max-Wedge & Truck Motor-This Is A True Max-Wedge Block! Casting #2120529-#22005697-#2468030 And #2658836 Were An Assortment Of 413 Blocks For Passenger Cars And The Industrial Motor.

The -4 Number At the End of The Casting Number Is The Tooling Revision Number, Meaning, That During The Pouring Of These Blocks, Meant How Many Times The Tooling (Core Molds) Have Been Reconditioned Back To the Proper Specs. The Molds Wear Out As They Are Used, So Quality Control Keeps The Tooling Specs True. The Earlier The Number, The Better The Casting.

If You Have The Casting Number #1852029 It Is A 413 Max-Wedge Block! Congratulations, You Have An Early Maxie! Not Sure As Too Price, But It All Depends On How Bad You Want A Real Max-Wedge Block!

Also, that casting number is for a 62' ONLY 413 Max Wedge

information & thanks

outstanding info... a true education for me since joining FBBO.

will keep you all posted, and put up some pics as soon as the car shows up... having it shipped later this week.

Updated Info:

Block Casting #1852029 Is A 413 Max-Wedge & Truck Motor-This Is A True Max-Wedge Block!
Unless someone pulled it out of a truck. The only way to know for sure is to check out the internals, especially the valve reliefs on the cylinders.

Either way its NOT a matching numbers car and keep that in mind when you're talking price with the guy. Its either a true '62 max wedge block with a set of aluminum heads and all the rest of the goodies, or someone cloned one using a truck block and a bunch of aftermarket parts. What carbs are on it? Edelbrock or original AFB's? Do the heads have true Max Wedge ports and is the intake an original or reporoduction. Lots of stuff to check before you pay top dollar. But if it checks out (and even if it doesn't) its a good find.

X2!!

I won't agree or disagree about the bottom end pertaining to internally, but the bottom of the 69 and later 440 blocks are stronger. 69 and later 440s have strengthening ribs between the freeze plug areas, as the earlier blocks would occasionally crack around that area. These ribs are found on all 400 blocks, and all 440 blocks from 69 until end of production.

Not exactly on topic, but the only difference between a 426 Max Wedge block and a 426 street wedge block are the valve reliefs in the cylinders. The casting numbers and everything else are the same on the blocks. Of course, the innards are different.

The block material is different beween the max wedge and street wedge

Auto Transport Service
Back