• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger - new fuel sender unit incorrectly displays fuel level

euroz06

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently my fuel sender has failed (the float disconnected from the main body). I've ordered the whole assembly on eclassics, replaced, but now my fuel gauge doesn't read correctly.
As background: The one i've had before showed 3/4 of a tank on full tank, but then gradually went down to E. At E, it would take about 14-15 gallons.

The new one i installed, as with the old one shows 3/4 full on full tank, however, after refil, it takes a long time to move the needle there. The biggest problem though, is that it moves towards empty very quickly. Last time it was close to E, I filled only 7 gallons...

Any solutions to this?

I’ve found that aftermarket sending units don’t read correctly….not any of them, not even close

None of the aftermarket suppliers make a sending unit that will match OEM. They use linear resistors that are in no way even close to factory specifications. The best you can hope for on an aftermarket sending unit is correct at full and correct at empty.

i did not know to match the bend :( but even still, it shows at full 3/4 of a tank, which is what my old unit showed. In case with my old unit, it was progressive on the fuel use, so at least i knew when it was at E, it was time to refuel. With this unit, it gets to E very quickly, and i have no way of knowing if im close to E or not.

Auto Transport Service
Back