• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Aluminum center section

Why would you want one? Seems like the weakest thing you can put under power.

Looking for aluminum 8.75” housing just giving it a shot
See attached link - not Aluminum, but close. Note price is in C$ - subtract 30% for US$

That is where you want the weight anyway is over/near the rear.

See attached link - not Aluminum, but close. Note price is in C$ - subtract 30% for US$
Im not too sure that piece belongs on a car.....maybe not the museum either, but if it were mine, I think it is best off "retired" to prevent potential damage. Coolness factor of "10", maybe even "11" lol.

I run them and have never had an issue with them.

I have a spare Mopar performance in the trailer with very
few runs that has been there for years. 4:56 Spool.

$2,450.00 Ready to run and that is a Bargain!

Last edited:
I have four, one is brand new, still in the box., I listed it here? a few months back, too pricey for most it seems.
Mopar stated it was 10% stronger than the typical 742 carrier.

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

Last edited:
Just curious, how much does one of those aluminum center sections weigh?
Here is an out of production long ago Mark Williams 742 Alum carrier, it has rebuilt I believe 3.55 with an Auburn and a billet 1350 CM yoke, weight as pictured.
When I discovered there were a few Alum 8.75" aftermarket carriers around late 80's, I looked for years, and found this one in a for sale dragster that I had to buy to obtain it in NJ.
Early nineties I pleaded with Mopar to offer/build an Alum carrier, they blew me off and said there was no market. Decade later it was in their catalog

MW 2-76 Auburn - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an out of production long ago Mark Williams 742 Alum carrier, it has I believe 3.55 with an Auburn and a billet 1350 CM yoke, weight as pictured.
When I discovered there were a few Alum 8.75" aftermarket carriers around late 80's, I looked for years, and found this one in a for sale dragster that I had to buy to obtain it in NJ.
Early nineties I pleaded with Mopar to offer/build an Alum carrier, they blew off and said there was no market. Decade later in was in their catalog

View attachment 1661143
Good to know. I weighed the center section of the unit I am running, 3.91, Sure-Grip, '489' housing and it came in at 73 pounds.

Good to know. I weighed the center section of the unit I am running, 3.91, Sure-Grip, '489' housing and it came in at 73 pounds.
I just weighed my new 9" aluminum center. In the bottom half of the box it came in (whole box around 5 lbs) It weighed 61.6, with 4,10 gear and a steel spool. I'm kinda disappointed it's not lighter, but I guess it has to be heavier than I expected, to be strong enough.

BTW I would guess the MW Alum carrier is a few lbs heavier than the Mopar Alum carrier, for reference check out the difference between the two in the mounting flange thickness.

Auto Transport Service
Back