• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am Radio help

0DegreeEngineer

Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
I am a novice when it comes to radios I need some help understanding the ohm raings on the original equipment. What ohm rating speakers should I use if I am using an original AM radio? Can I put three in dash speakers and two rear speakers with an am system? And if I do what Ohm rating should each speaker be? And can I wire them with regular speaker wire or do I need specific harnesses to make it work?
I just bought a replacement center dash speaker from Electro-Tech for my rebuilt AM thumbwheel radio. Phone orders only because he wants to make sure you get what you need and that it fits your car. I got the speaker in 2 days of the order at $39 + $10 for shipping. It's a quality item and packed well. Make sure you get the 8 ohm speaker if your radio has NOT been upgraded to a modern unit.

I bought my radio from a real nice man named Devin Duke on his Ebay store Devinism. Nicely done, too.

Something like this?
OHMs is a unit of measure for impedance like amps is for current. When wiring speakers like you are wanting do with a radio designed as a mono output and probably fairly low power output (watts); I don't know what the OEM radio was designed to use but I'm guessing you may be asking more out of that radio than it can do. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in soon. Good luck with the tunes!

A lot of the old Chrysler AM radios used 4 ohm speakers. But in general 4 and 8 ohm were commonly seen in the 60s and 70s. I put replacement 4 ohm speakers in my 66 Satellite and 67 GTX and it works well if not exactly high fidelity.

I am a novice when it comes to radios I need some help understanding the ohm raings on the original equipment. What ohm rating speakers should I use if I am using an original AM radio? Can I put three in dash speakers and two rear speakers with an am system? And if I do what Ohm rating should each speaker be? And can I wire them with regular speaker wire or do I need specific harnesses to make it work?
I recommend taking your AM radio and having it converted to a modern AM FM Bluetooth device.

You can run a remote rear speaker with a fader potentiometer, but you cannot run three speakers.

A 323 model AM radio like I had in my 66 Charger had a 3 watt output. Not sure, but think the original dash speakers in these era cars had a 8 ohm rating.
Many years ago, I found a very good condition used correct AM-FM model radio I installed in my Charger. For what you are stating what you would like to do, you need get a different more modern radio or get yours modified with the radio conversion mentioned in the previous post. Nothing worth listening to on AM anyways..but that's just my opinion. There are companies that do this conversion.. Radio Restoration - Radio Restoration

A lot of the old Chrysler AM radios used 4 ohm speakers. But in general 4 and 8 ohm were commonly seen in the 60s and 70s. I put replacement 4 ohm speakers in my 66 Satellite and 67 GTX and it works well if not exactly high fidelity.
How many speakers are you running?

I recommend taking your AM radio and having it converted to a modern AM FM Bluetooth device.

You can run a remote rear speaker with a fader potentiometer, but you cannot run three speakers.
I found a device called redi-rad I was planning on using for phone connection trying to keep it stock appearing does this conversion keep the appearance? can't hear much with the windows down on the freeway anyways

Looks good I will see if i can find finished products, i just purchased a stereo that has plymouth Solid State that i think would look better than Chrysler Solid State

How many speakers are you running?

I found a device called redi-rad I was planning on using for phone connection trying to keep it stock appearing does this conversion keep the appearance? can't hear much with the windows down on the freeway anyways
Two in the 66 and just one in the 67.

A 323 model AM radio like I had in my 66 Charger had a 3 watt output. Not sure, but think the original dash speakers in these era cars had a 8 ohm rating.
Many years ago, I found a very good condition used correct AM-FM model radio I installed in my Charger. For what you are stating what you would like to do, you need get a different more modern radio or get yours modified with the radio conversion mentioned in the previous post. Nothing worth listening to on AM anyways..but that's just my opinion. There are companies that do this conversion.. Radio Restoration - Radio Restoration
Two in the 66 and just one in the 67.
Two 4 ohms and one 8 ohm?

If you didn't want front to back fader capability and could verify the original radio ran on 4 ohm speakers; you could run a single 8 ohm up front and dual 4 ohm speakers on the rear deck. Wire the rear speakers in series then connect the front speaker in parallel across the rear connections. That would give you effectively a 4 ohm load on the radio output.

Doing the stereo conversion or an aftermarket sub would give you lots more options and flexibility.

If you didn't want front to back fader capability and could verify the original radio ran on 4 ohm speakers; you could run a single 8 ohm up front and dual 4 ohm speakers on the rear deck. Wire the rear speakers in series then connect the front speaker in parallel across the rear connections. That would give you effectively a 4 ohm load on the radio output.

Doing the stereo conversion or an aftermarket sub would give you lots more options and flexibility.

Ok I will check the stereo out when it arrives, should I be able to find it on the body or would I need to dig through the internet?

Also one of the previous owners put in subs that have been since removed....

20220420_162356.jpg

The am requires an 8 ohm. Running less will burn out the transistor. I’m assuming two 4 ohm speakers will be ok. The three speaker cars had the am/fm 8 track. I don’t know that running extra speakers will do anything for sound with the am. I had Devin Duke rebuild my radio and I got a soeaker from sm Electrotech. It sounds really really good. I picked up an nos fm convertor so I can have a stock look for shows and fm otherwise. I haven’t put it in this car, but my last car had one in it when I got it and that did enough for me with the one speaker. I’m not a big thumping radio guy though.

Last edited:
Was toying around and was wondering if something along this setup work for my radio? (And yes I know I have the artistic ability of a toddler). The below pictured layout with a 4 ohm 4x10 and two 2 ohm 6x9s?

I currently cannot expend the funds to do the conversion now but may do it in the future.

20240430_153035.jpg

If I am incorrect please correct me
No your drawing will not give you what you are looking for.

Did you ever determine the original speaker impedance value. Some Gar Guy sounded pretty positive about the single front speaker setup being 8 Ohms.

Using that rating you could wire two rear deck 8 Ohm speakers in parallel effectively giving you 4 Ohms impedance back there; then wire that in series with the 4 X 10" front speaker. The end result would be an 8 OHM load.

No your drawing will not give you what you are looking for.

Did you ever determine the original speaker impedance value. Some Gar Guy sounded pretty positive about the single front speaker setup being 8 Ohms.

Using that rating you could wire two rear deck 8 Ohm speakers in parallel effectively giving you 4 Ohms impedance back there; then wire that in series with the 4 X 10" front speaker. The end result would be an 8 OHM load.
I am still waiting on the arrival of the stereo would it be printed on it or would I use an ohm meter to check, just trying to get ahead where I can so the install goes quicker

I am still waiting on the arrival of the stereo would it be printed on it or would I use an ohm meter to check, just trying to get ahead where I can so the install goes quicker
I don't think the output impedance is printed on the radio (maybe on accompanying documentation) and know of no way to test for it. Exactly what radio are you getting? Don't know that we can help much even with that info but might luck out. At the very least you will know something and for now that is more than we have to work with.

I don't think the output impedance is printed on the radio (maybe on accompanying documentation) and know of no way to test for it. Exactly what radio are you getting? Don't know that we can help much even with that info but might luck out. At the very least you will know something and for now that is more than we have to work with.

Screenshot_20240501-055039_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240501-055029_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well that appears to be a totally original thumb wheel MOPAR unit so based on what "Some Car Guy" said I'd guess 8 OHMs is your target and the last configuration I told you about should be correct. Again, I'd hope more guys would offer even more positive input. Good luck with the outcome.

Auto Transport Service
Back