• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ammeter Quick Question and 95 AMP alternator question

So I wanted to share...not sure if I'll ever do this with a newer ammeter. But, since I was not able to find a 77 Monaco service manual on mymopar, I bought one off eBay. It has the factory wiring diagram with the newer shunt that Nacho mentions above. I wanted to include that section from the manual just because I find it VERY interesting! Again, who knows if I'll do this but nice to have the info from the factory.

View attachment 1390564View attachment 1390565View attachment 1390566View attachment 1390567View attachment 1390568View attachment 1390569View attachment 1390570
These are the best! There can be some very valuable books on e bay. Is your car a 77 Monaco? I should always look at initial post first. I apologize-

Maybe you need to summon @Nacho-RT74 to weigh in.

Since this is always a lively debate..... :popcorn:

I also installed a nice new 95A alternator, but I still have 50yo wiring, so I have done the ammeter/bulkhead/underhood bypass' and run a voltmeter.
Was Ammeter not working?

NO. This "Pegging out" or Regulator On condition is there with all of us who don't start them 2 times a day as with driving it Back/Forth to work. Personally? I can't see any need for a Voltmeter. Espacially since that AWESOME factory Ammeter is just, the coolest guage in the dash! :) Voltmeter also may cause a little more resiatance in your Alternator feed side of harness. Probably not a big deal yet? I run a Powermaster 95 amp Alt. Only due to getting caught out after sunset a few times & needing the lights on. (OMG No! Right?) If that "Squeek" from the 65 amp is over annoying? May try a squirt of "Belt Dressing" (spray can from parts store). The squeek or squeal CAN also be something else such as BAD bearings in the alternator! Always carry a spare belt for everything. Along with, fuses, few Lug Nuts, HOSES & clamps and definitely 3/8" and or 5/16" fuel line Hose! (Ya never know!)
[I'd take one of the non-being-used alternators with me as well!] Hope that was some help. You'll find the ones that know a lot of electrical? Will usually all think the same way. "Gut it and go with New Harnesses". Have a fantastic weekend!
#moparOrNoCar
Thanks! My last post was over a year ago. I’m a sheep and converted to a voltmeter. I’ll revisit back to an ammeter at some point. I still have 4 wheel drum so I can see the red paint through the road wheels so I have not completely given in to modern thought! :) I appreciate it!

107.JPG

Last edited:
Was Ammeter not working?

The ammeter was working. With the addition of the new higher amp alternator I just decided to make these changes as a personal preference to take any possible strain off the old wiring and have had zero issues with this configuration thus far.

With that said, I don't really have a need any longer for the 95A due to removing a lot of the power hungry aftermarket accessories that necessitated upping the amperage in the first place, so if I decide to go back to a 60A or lower ALT in the future, I may hook the ammeter back up.

But for now, the voltmeter is just fine.

If the 60 amps is able to feed all your actual car load demand at any speed, you won’t see practically any diff between use the 95 and the 60 amps units. The ammeter will read basically the same. Just after crank the engine or a similar batt discharge stage will notice a faster charge process (don’t necesarily way higher, but definitely more steady with a minimal flickering amm needle).

Sure as far all accs are correctly sourced on alt side of the charging system.

However, tipical and logically a 60 amps alt unit gets a lower output rate at iddle, so will depend on how many accs added you got.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back