• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

coil over shocks, will any size raise the rear an inch

Mike Spano

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
1970 GTX
I need to raise the rear an inch, so I can take passengers without my tires rubbing. I don't want to install more narrow tires, don't want to replace already decent leaf springs, not really thrilled about an air shock option. My question is, will any specific size and brand coil over shock add an 1" to the rear lift, while providing load leveling for passengers' wide butts.

Is a coil over being used to raise the rear really any different then using an air shock?
And really shouldn't be done. I have and never an issue buttt....................

Back in the day rear coil overs where sold for trailer towing, to help hold the *** end up. Not sure how much they'd lift above static though...

I've had air shocks on the Bee for 46 years. The rear upper shock mount is the only original steel body piece still under there from bumper support to the firewall ! Was the ONLY thing that wasn't timex'd and we reused it.

Same effect as air shocks. Moving support from leaf springs to cross member. Which was not designed to carry the load. Some people get lucky and nothing happens, others the shock punches thru the trunk floor. I do not know of any way to predict which you would be.

When I first got my 66 Charger previous owner had installed air shocks. I quickly replaced them with conventional OEM type shocks and discovered what that the car really need new rear leaf springs. Got the springs from Eaton Detroit. While I was doing all that work decided to install Monroe load levelers, I'v been very happy with the results some 8 years later.

Auto Transport Service
Back