• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper color connecting rods

While these are power sports rods the process is similar...except they do not remove the copper...

This video is fascinating, I love seeing how stuff is made.
However, I think the narration is either incomplete or misleading. It doesn’t make sense that the copper plating is critical to heat treatment, when it is removed from both ends BEFORE heat treatment.
It may be that they need different properties on the ends and beams. I would like more info.

However, I think the narration is either incomplete or misleading. It doesn’t make sense that the copper plating is critical to heat treatment, when it is removed from both ends BEFORE heat treatment.
It may be that they need different properties on the ends and beams. I would like more info.
Now that I think about it, if they are carburizing them, it would keep the plated area from getting as hard.
Makes sense.

But they re-machine the ends to make sure they are parallel after the heat treat...

I see a few in this latest 318 project plus another few hanging on the wall...

c3977424-da56-43fa-b008-2ef296eb7d22_text.gif

If you look at aftermarket billet steel cams many cores will have the copper plating still visible between the lobes.

Google Image Result for https://www.12bolt.com/uploads/6/0/9/9/60992641/s948739236638414765_p196_i4_w2560.jpeg

I've been given the explanation on that one from a man that knows. He described the whole process to me. It had to do with the heat/chemical treatment/process. The core is copper plated. Then the copper is ground off the parts of the piece that you want hardened. Then the hardening process is done. This leaves the copper plated parts of the piece soft. He said if it wasn't done that way you couldn't straighten the cam because it would break.

Auto Transport Service
Back