• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dogs

Shepherds are pretty smart and good with kids, as evidenced by allowing this kid to take his picture while he was studying.
001.jpg

20170109_190637.jpg

He are two of six dogs we have rescued. We even had a potbelly pig for some time. All of the dogs have been great but the lab has been the best out of all of them. It's the only dog I have ever had where you can take her outside and she stays in the yard, no fence and not tied to a leash. Even when someone is walking past the front of the house with another dog, she will watch but does not move or make a sound. Where we live has a lot to do with it to and she was very easy to train. If you don't see her clap two time and she will come from wherever she was and sit at your side. Summer time you can always find her in the creek in the back of our yard. Just look down the hill and you see her tail going back and forth.

20170109_190637.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 386801
He are two of six dogs we have rescued. We even had a potbelly pig for some time. All of the dogs have been great but the lab has been the best out of all of them. It's the only dog I have ever had where you can take her outside and she stays in the yard, no fence and not tied to a leash. Even if someone is walking past the front of the house with another dog, she will watch but does not move or make a sound. Where we live has a lot to do with it to and she was very easy to train to. If you don't see her clap two time and she will come from wherever she was and sit at your side. Summer time you can always find her in the creek in the back of our yard. Just look down the hill and you see her tail going back and forth.

View attachment 386792
That's funny, with our yellow lab if you couldn't get her attention any other way, all you had to do is clap twice real loud and she'd come running! She had the pink nose also. She passed just a year ago, really miss her. Your description sounds just like ours, always stayed in the side yard, you could leave and she'd be right there when you returned. I need another one.

That's funny, with our yellow lab if you couldn't get her attention any other way, all you had to do is clap twice real loud and she'd come running! She had the pink nose also. She passed just a year ago, really miss her. Your description sounds just like ours, always stayed in the side yard, you could leave and she'd be right there when you returned. I need another one.
You are a hundred percent right, clap two time's loud and within seconds you see them come running as fast a they can back to you. Sorry for the loss of yours, they truly are the best dogs.

Just added a female Doberman (about a year old) to the family which includes a 14 year old Lhasa Apso and a 6 year old poodle. She is "only" 50 pounds and not really gaining any more weight, which is fine by me. At first I was a little cautious around her, but now i find she is the biggest baby of the bunch. The smaller dogs can steal food right from her bowl and she just stands there and watches. Very intelligent and super athletic, wears her nails down just running around the yard like a nut, always ready to play. Thinking about training her for dog agility courses, she would love that. Loves to be petted and loves to shake hands, fetch on land or in the water at the beach, anytime and anywhere. Just need to be a little stern to keep her calm, collected, and obedient. We love her to death. Easy to care for her coat and hair, she always looks slick, shiny, and clean without any effort on our part! All dogs can be good companions, but "Camelia" has really been a big surprise and a blessing.

I agree with you Dibbons that all dogs can be good companions. It's all about how someone treats them and how there disciplined when doing wrong. I know I said earlier that our lab was the best out of the six dogs we had. What I should have said was ALL of our dogs have been very good to us right up to the very last minute. The lab is just good about staying in our yard.

Ok so me and my wife are having a great time and a few chuckles looking back at picture of some of the dogs we had (all adopted but for one). I figured since we are not working on the car and have no updates for it, I would share some more pic's of our past and present dogs.
The first two are the lab we have now walking with our son. That was about a year after we got her, something like 6 or 7 years ago. The two have been inseparable from day one.
IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

He's now 17, working under his car and there she is with him.
20160908_142925.jpg

These are just pic from our different journeys, same dog.
IMG_2267 copy.jpg

brandyjumping.jpg

The next dog is Zorro, lab, adopted, his owner passed and the daughter was going to have him put down. This dog loved car rides but did not like water. This pic was taken along the Delaware River with the tan lab above. He was very content with sitting in the truck watching everyone. We only had him for a short 3 years. He was old when we got him, we did the best we could for him in his senior years.
IMG_2930.JPG

The next one is Shane. Not adopted. I always wanted one and convinced my wife we needed one. He road home on her lap trying to lick her face and she swore he was trying to eat her alive. In the end, the two of them were buddy's. Shane was a year old when our son was born. He was very calm, but very alert. My son pulled his ears, feet, crawled all over and so on. Shane never became aggressive to him or anyone else. He loved his car rides. Sad to say in the end (13 years old) he was having issues. I had to come home from work to take him to the vet, it was that time, he put up a good fight. I put him in his seat rolled the window down so he could have his last car ride. When I arrived at the vets office, in tears, I got out of the truck walked around to his window to tell him I would be right back. While talking to him petting his head, he passed away. Very hard time but he did get one last car ride in.
shane.jpg

His back yard chew toys were pvc pipes.

Last edited:
Labs are great dogs, where on our second purebred one. However, both had heath problems. I'd look for a mixed Lab, they can be great dogs as well, without the high chance of joint problems.

sometimes "bitsa's "make the best dogs ,nothing wrong with a mixed breed :thumbsup:

I didn't take time to read the whole thread but...As I've mentioned in other threads I have two Newfoundlands. They are the number 1 choice for dogs with children. They are huge, ours 145 lbs each. Don't need a lot of exercise nor do they want it. We expect a litter of Newfoundland/Standard Poodle pups on Valentine's Day. The poodle part takes most of the shedding out of the equation but they will be smaller than 145 lbs. Here's my friends site about these dogs.

http://newfypoopuppies.com/

Auto Transport Service
Back