• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gauge problems

Joel E.

Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
in August of last year I ask for help regarding my new gauges reading improperly. The thought was to put a new voltage limiter in which I finally did today. (My wife has yet to permit me to quit work and tinker on this vehicle full time so it takes a while to get things done). After I installed it the temperature gauge read close to correct and the oil gauge stopped at 80 instead of pegging. However when I turn the lights on both gauges peg again. any thoughts? As always I appreciate everyones input.
Joel

Knowing what year and model car you have will probably be very helpful...

Knowing what year and model car you have will probably be very helpful...
My first guess was Combine Harvester since we're in Kansas....but after checking up, I see he has a 1970 Plymouth GTX :thumbsup:

1714906195604.png

However when I turn the lights on both gauges peg again. any thoughts? As always I appreciate everyones input.
It sounds a bit like you have a ground missing on the lighting circuit, or a crossed wire in the lighting loom or switch.
Voltage is finding a path to the light switch supply somehow. Are you able to post up some pictures of what you're able to see there?

A pinched wire or a dodgy connector strip or something can cause that...or someone has been plugging the orange wires into the cluster - orange is typically the courtesy lighting circuit supply.

My first guess was Combine Harvester since we're in Kansas....but after checking up, I see he has a 1970 Plymouth GTX :thumbsup:

View attachment 1658288

It sounds a bit like you have a ground missing on the lighting circuit, or a crossed wire in the lighting loom or switch.
Voltage is finding a path to the light switch supply somehow. Are you able to post up some pictures of what you're able to see there?

A pinched wire or a dodgy connector strip or something can cause that...or someone has been plugging the orange wires into the cluster - orange is typically the courtesy lighting circuit supply.
Thanks 1970 x rally gauges.

in August of last year I ask for help regarding my new gauges reading improperly. The thought was to put a new voltage limiter in which I finally did today. (My wife has yet to permit me to quit work and tinker on this vehicle full time so it takes a while to get things done). After I installed it the temperature gauge read close to correct and the oil gauge stopped at 80 instead of pegging. However when I turn the lights on both gauges peg again. any thoughts? As always I appreciate everyones input.

Thanks 1970 x rally gauges.
The circuit board has lost its ground. I always add an auxiliary ground

where does it normally ground and is it easier to get a new board? how do you add the second ground?
Just look at the board. You will see where the screw grounds the board to the cluster frame. Add the ground from there to a good grounding spot.

Auto Transport Service
Back