• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How big can I go????...........................

mopardog

Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
And still use the 3:23 Sure grip in my 72RR? Dropping a 400 back in it and want neighborhood of 350 to 400 hp. I don't want to overdo it (is that really possible). not sure if the stock rear would hold up to a 451 stroker or not. Any feedback? if no the somewhere in neighborhood of like I said, 350 to 400 hp.

oooohhhh that sounds good! I REALLY WANT A 451 in her but want to make sure she can take it as she sits. Trying to stay in my budget on the drivetrain. the more feedback/information, the better.

Good luck, I blew my budget out the water long ago, in almost done now so I can start to recooperate lol. You should be fine with a mild stroker, shift kit, stock differential

Cool, Mild stroker.... I was thinking .030 over all the oil pathways ground and smoothed, I have 452 Heads ( I believe that's right) rebuilt, but having the springs upgraded to handle more hp if necessary.. having heads and block shaved/decked to match and am told that will bring compression up some with the bored over cylinder and bigger pistons. Looking for a bumpy cam, (no heavy Lope, just a noticeable chop). Thinking at least a 800 cfm carb. Am I in the neighborhood? I just need an idea on what to look for as far as a crankshaft, so suggestions please.

Cool, Mild stroker.... I was thinking .030 over all the oil pathways ground and smoothed, I have 452 Heads ( I believe that's right) rebuilt, but having the springs upgraded to handle more hp if necessary.. having heads and block shaved/decked to match and am told that will bring compression up some with the bored over cylinder and bigger pistons. Looking for a bumpy cam, (no heavy Lope, just a noticeable chop). Thinking at least a 800 cfm carb. Am I in the neighborhood? I just need an idea on what to look for as far as a crankshaft, so suggestions please.
Forged 440 crankshaft, cam and spring kit from Hughes engines.

thank you sir. Just checked Hughes, not too bad. Getting excited !!!!

Last edited:
You can probably pick up a 440 crank for a couple hundred bucks

I got a friend who has a couple 440s. is there a year range to look for to make sure crank is forged, or are they all forged in the 440s?
Big Blocks are somewhat new to me.

I got a friend who has a couple 440s. is there a year range to look for to make sure crank is forged, or are they all forged in the 440s?
Some are forged some are cast, not sure of the years or anything but they're pretty common

I've been running a 451 stroker (about 500hp) with a 3:55 sure grip for 10,000 miles with no issues but no slicks.

Shows difference between cast and forged

Last edited:
According to Mopar several versions of forged 440 crank were used from '66 thru '73 and cast cranks after that. Seems like the variations in the forged cranks was in the balance which accounted for the different pistons used. IMHO the 8 3/4 should hold up just fine unless you make over 500 HP & have a really hard hooking car.

I regularly build low decks that are super reliable, and the most basic mild stock stroke build easily nets ya 350 hp.
Even the budget build stroker you're considering with reasonable cam, comp ratio, and mild port work is an all day - everyday pump gas 425 hp.
It's the age old question, how fast can you afford to go?
Best suggestion- keep it mild, you're gonna break stuff anyway, and need the extra $$$
:rolleyes:

I built this car in 2003 451 stroker with a Tremec 5 speed then later with a Manual shift 727. 8 3/4 with 4.10 Sure Grip. Drove it 30K and drag raced it too with slicks. If you have a proper gear set up your 8 3/4 should do just fine.But anything mechanical can break...The photo was when it was a stick car.When it was a stick it had 3.73 gears.

LVMS_APR05.JPG

And still use the 3:23 Sure grip in my 72RR? Dropping a 400 back in it and want neighborhood of 350 to 400 hp. I don't want to overdo it (is that really possible). not sure if the stock rear would hold up to a 451 stroker or not. Any feedback? if no the somewhere in neighborhood of like I said, 350 to 400 hp.

I run the same ratio with a 605 hp 512 stroker. Doesn't whine, didn't break.

According to Mopar several versions of forged 440 crank were used from '66 thru '73 and cast cranks after that. Seems like the variations in the forged cranks was in the balance which accounted for the different pistons used. IMHO the 8 3/4 should hold up just fine unless you make over 500 HP & have a really hard hooking car.
After 73 the motor homes still had steel cranks, right till 78

My stock engine 75 Power Wagon 440 has a steel crank....because it was built with a 4 speed!

After 73 the motor homes still had steel cranks, right till 78
Not all and I doubt very many. I have pulled several motor home 440s with cast cranks. I've also pulled a few motorhome 360 mills. They of course were ALL cast crank engines.

Auto Transport Service
Back