• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 axle end play adjustment Help!

matthon

Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
So, it's established that I'm an idiot, that said, I get what to do, I think, but my reality is not as simple and I'm confused because something is messed up and, more importantly, I need to understand the axle end play process.

Searched the interweb, and here, and the fsm, unable to find what is actually going on when installing axles and setting end play.

Not sure if in the end I bent the retainer on the passenger side, maybe, if that's possible, but the adjuster doesn't want to do anything.

I only swapped a 742 Sure-Grip for a 741 Sure-Grip, that's it.

Pull the axles and look for the thrust buttons / thrust block.

If the problem is the passenger side axle not going in far enough, then it could be the splines in the clutch plate retainer are not lining up with the side gear splines.

If the problem is the passenger side axle not going in far enough, then it could be the splines in the clutch plate retainer are not lining up with the side gear splines.
Tried that, my understanding is that's a 741 thing.
Got it to go in more towards the end of the video, but something is wrong.

Does the thrust button move freely back and forth? And just for your info., the spline lining up thing has nothing to do with the carrier number. It is a sure grip thing.

Does the thrust button move freely back and forth?
I do not know, is there a way to test that, without it falling out inside and ruining my week?

I took the 2:76 center out, set it aside, put it in this housing. Making sure the thrust button stayed as is the entire, short, time.

Without taking it apart, you could push gently on the driver's side axle, and then have someone push on the thrust button with a broomstick from the other side, and the axle should move out against the bearing. If that happens then the thrust button is sliding okay. You could also fashion a way to do it without help, by leaning something not too heavy against the driver's side axle.

I do not know, is there a way to test that, without it falling out inside and ruining my week?

I took the 2:76 center out, set it aside, put it in this housing. Making sure the thrust button stayed as is the entire, short, time.

First thing is you need to tighten the backing plate in order to take out the end play. The adjuster needs something to push against. You might have cross threaded the adjuster or maybe it's just binding because of the loose backing plate/bearing retainer.

Jump to the 7:00 mark....

R/T boy 67 post #3 I think has it right. I had the same problem, there are 2 sets of splines on each side. Think the inner splines are miss aligned. You'll need to remove pumpkin to look at the splines. To realign you need to keep the yoke from turning while you turn the axle some then try to push it in. If you have someone push on axle while you turn axle it's easier. Turning axle will need a 2 to 3 foot bar and don't mess up wheel stud. My first post was about this 2016.

First thing is you need to tighten the backing plate in order to take out the end play.
I don't have any play because the passenger axle will not go in all the way.
To realign you need to keep the yoke from turning while you turn the axle some then try to push it in.
I tried this earlier, put a block on a jack under the yoke.
I did not use a 2-3 foot bar, just a small pry bar.
Curious what it would take to misalign the inner splines?
This thing was taken out, set down on a dolly, and put in another housing a few days later.

Ok, so I just measured the axles, appear to be the same length (call me stupid, if this is a known thing, or I'm wrong).

I swapped the axles side to side and both slid in no problem, fully seated.

I recorded myself taking the axles out and passenger had the adjuster, why would they fit opposite sides?

I don't have any play because the passenger axle will not go in all the way.

I tried this earlier, put a block on a jack under the yoke.
I did not use a 2-3 foot bar, just a small pry bar.
Curious what it would take to misalign the inner splines?
This thing was taken out, set down on a dolly, and put in another housing a few days later.

Ok, so I just measured the axles, appear to be the same length (call me stupid, if this is a known thing, or I'm wrong).

I swapped the axles side to side and both slid in no problem, fully seated.

I recorded myself taking the axles out and passenger had the adjuster, why would they fit opposite sides?
Compare both axles side by side. Something has to be obvious.

I'd say it was just dumb luck. It only takes just a hair of misalignment on those fine teeth.

I bought a center section once and neither axel would go completely in.

20170730_192227.jpg

Did you install new axle bearings ?
I got to ask if you have are they and the retainer pressed all the way home ?
If it's the splines it should slip in with a little forward , reverse rocking.
If you have had them in and out a few times check your seals.
Sorry your having trouble.

Last edited:
Did you install new axle bearings ?
I got to ask if you have are they and the retainer pressed all the way home ?
This rear was fully redone, assembled, and I drove it for a year in another car.
Removed it, swapped a different center section into it.

It was a late night.
After swapping both axles and somehow they fit, I removed them to place back in the correct sides.
Somehow I managed to mess it up and now the driver side would not go in all the way.

Socket on the pinion nut, lug nuts on the wheel studs, I tried the 'align the inner splines' trick.
I could see/feel the axle spin, and after a few attempts the axle seated all the way.

Why/how the driver side got messed up, who knows.

On to the passenger side, same process.
Could not get it to move, rear kept raising up on the other side, sitting on jack stands out of the car.
So I strapped the other center section to the opposite side of the rear housing to hold it down, and that giant 4' iron bar I was using easily lifted my 'counterweight' off the ground.

Could not get the passenger axle to turn to realign the inner splines, if that was the issue.

After all of this, somehow the passenger axle went in, although I never saw it spin.

Finally, I was able to tighten the passenger axle down, and the end play on the driver side started to go away.
Tap the passenger axle in a bit more, tighten the adjuster, check both sides, repeat.

I'd say it was just dumb luck. It only takes just a hair of misalignment on those fine teeth.
I wish I had made that set up and done this before installing the center section.
Still can't believe the inner splines came out of alignment just from removing a center section, setting it down, cleaning it off, and putting it in another housing.

I do not have a dial indicator, I've read some adjust by feel, or tighten the adjuster and back it off slowly until they have play.
Is this method acceptable?

If not, can I put this all back together and at least move the car?

I'm going to torture myself more by attempting to replace the pinion seal, figure I need the car on the ground to keep the housing in one place.

I do not have a dial indicator, I've read some adjust by feel, or tighten the adjuster and back it off slowly until they have play.
Is this method acceptable?

If not, can I put this all back together and at least move the car?

I'm going to torture myself more by attempting to replace the pinion seal, figure I need the car on the ground to keep the housing in one place.
Glad you got them in.
Adjust with no dial caliper, left side in and tight. Tap axle in with dead blow or wood block.
Right side , back off ring, axle flange tight except for the nut for the lock pawl.
Tap axle end, back to left side Tap it again, right side turn your ring just to the point of zero end play. Back over ck the left one for zero play.
Back to right side ck for zero play, ( you want to be just at no play felt.) Not over tight. Install lock keeper / pawl if you have to move the ring to install the lock loosen a half notch don't tighten.
Factory specs are aprox .06 - .08 thou. Play. If you can feel play by hand it's to loose.
Once you rotate a few turns you will have your .06 ect play.

Auto Transport Service
Back