• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Prior to retiring, I thought that I'd need to take a part time job to keep myself busy, but it didn't take me long to realize that having no business to run and no job to go to suites me just fine.

:thumbsup:

One main thing that I like is the freedom to do whatever I want.
I used to have some anxiety on Sunday evenings when the thought of the long commute would pop into my head. I hated working out of town but had to do it to reach the point where I could retire.

Most of the elevator inspectors I worked with were retired guys who needed something to do and/or wanted to get away from their “old lady”. One inspector told me (more than once) how good looking his house was ….. in the rear view mirror as he was driving away. That guy also referred to his wife as Shamu.

I used to have some anxiety on Sunday evenings when the thought of the long commute would pop into my head. I hated working out of town but had to do it to reach the point where I could retire.
More than having the freedom to do things I wanted, in my case it was having the freedom from things I didn't want to do, such as heading into a snowstorm with a load at 4 am. Retirement before being physically shot is a good deal. Working full time until 69 got me to where I wanted financially, but I was fairly used up when I got there. My wife took a buyout five years before I hung it up, and she has triple my energy today.

I will not be coming out of retirement. Things got interesting, when the guy I was supposed to transition for died unexpectedly. Forced the company's hand, they hired a permanent replacement. My former boss left the same week, I positively will not be doing any work for him in his new high pressure gig. I was not meant to go back to work, and I'm relieved that the temptation is gone.
Almost did that.....go back working as a contractor for the company. My old boss and I still are friends today (I retired in 06 and he pulled the plug in 08) and the company wanted him back but as a contractor. One of my old bosses that went up the ladder didn't want me (yeah, he's was a jerk and had his cronies) but my friend said if I wasn't going to be allowed back he didn't want to either. The 'jerk' said ok, he can come back in but then I asked Don 'do ya really want to go back into that toxic environment that we wanted to leave behind so bad' and after thinking about it, he said 'not really'. Told him 'you are sitting well off and I'm good too so why go back to that crap'? Glad we didn't go back LOL
Prior to retiring, I thought that I'd need to take a part time job to keep myself busy, but it didn't take me long to realize that having no business to run and no job to go to suites me just fine.

:thumbsup:
Shoot.....I wondered how I ever got things done around my place after retiring. Geez, I was more busy after retirement....way more busy!
Did you have dreams or still do after retirement? I did for a couple of years and some of them were quite vivid!
More than having the freedom to do things I wanted, in my case it was having the freedom from things I didn't want to do, such as heading into a snowstorm with a load at 4 am. Retirement before being physically shot is a good deal. Working full time until 69 got me to where I wanted financially, but I was fairly used up when I got there. My wife took a buyout five years before I hung it up, and she has triple my energy today.
Don't have any idea where my GF gets her energy!!! Sometimes she runs down but not as often as I do and no, she doesn't do speed lol

Well I'm sort of ashamed thinking that I could return to full time work and transition to part time. I took a job at O'Reilly's as it's sort of been a dream job kind of thing to work at a auto parts store and get the employee discount. For whatever reason "part time" is a dirty word nowadays and O'Reilly's insists on every hire being full time with a possible transition to part time after 90 days or so.

I actually loved the work. All the people I met at the store were car guys, former mechanics, tuner guys (ricer), or up and coming mechanics in school. The work was super fast paced and the days just flew by.

BUT, I was away from the house almost 11 hours each day. Commute each way was almost 40 minutes. Mandatory 1 hour lunch. Also, there is some job overhead in getting there 15 minutes before work and staying a few minutes afterwards.

By the third day my wife commented that I'm back to my pre retirement routine and making almost 80% less money, so it's foolish to go on working.
Add to that I'm now missing some daily activities such as Ham Radio meetings and impromptu car cruises and it definitely wasn't a good idea to go back to work.

So, I figured O'Reilly would rather have me three days a week versus no days a week, but I was wrong. So for the first time ever I quit a job without notice. I was on day three and still in training mode, and I felt it would be better to just part ways now.

I'm just going to stay retired. Part time jobs just aren't available in today's job market. Not sure why, as the employer doesn't have to provide any benefits package to a part timer, and it eliminates anyone like myself who wants to do a great job three days a week, but it is what it is.

So, I figured O'Reilly would rather have me three days a week versus no days a week, but I was wrong. So for the first time ever I quit a job without notice. I was on day three and still in training mode, and I felt it would be better to just part ways now.

I'm just going to stay retired. Part time jobs just aren't available in today's job market. Not sure why, as the employer doesn't have to provide any benefits package to a part timer, and it eliminates anyone like myself who wants to do a great job three days a week, but it is what it is.
I reviewed these issues while I was still working, and came to the conclusion to go all in until the day I could no longer drive the truck. Wife made me look at volunteer work as a possibility to keep me occupied after retirement. She drives for a meal delivery service to homebound folks. Costs money for gas, and she has flat tires on a regular basis on the route, ruined a wheel on the last one. So it costs for her to do it.

After 40 years of paying to maintain my law license, I thought it might be of use for volunteer legal work. Public defender's office never answered my inquiry about part time work, but they still have an opening for a full time position. I'm not about to work 80 hours a week for half what I made driving a truck. If I did court appointed work independently, I'd have shell out for malpractice insurance. I'd be paying to keep myself busy. I checked into working pro bono for the local legal aid office. My attorney advised me not to do it, said I'd be a glorified file clerk, and with little motivation to put up with the office politics. Penn State's restorative justice initiative asked me to do fund raising, but all their legal work was being performed by faculty and law school student interns.

So I'm done being a productive member of society, but one year in, it's suiting me pretty well. I gave up my attorney card, and that saves enough in a year to pay for all the car shows, including Carlisle.

Last edited:
I learned to procrastinate,
something I rarely ever did, before I finally fully retired
in 2021
I had been semi-retired since 1997,
I worked as many or more hrs, after semi-retiring
with a brick & mortar Golf Pro-shop/Repairs,
&/or travel for Golf tournaments or sponsorships
or attending the kids sports events, that stuff took up any extra time I had anyway
& still consulting on the dealership facility management,
just when I wanted too, usually after hrs
& the select few side jobs I choose to still do, I won't do now...

Let alone the travel for golf &/or drag racing/match racing,
or Lisa's rodeos, the expense/s for all that **** too...
I'm glad all that **** is behind me...

I can relax, finally

I do still feel a lil' guilt here & there, not busting my balls daily still
I've always been a hard worker
but I'm good with it...
I've learned to slough stuff off it it's really important
I can do what I want, when I want
I have nobody to answer to except my dog, taking care of my dad (he's a PITA)
or the county property tax, the states taxman & voting...

soon i won’t have too , in a few weeks i’ll be off for summer recess , see ya in september….

My Sunday afternoon/evening anxiety just had me edgy and unsettled. I often had a hard time enjoying the Sunday and then couldn't get to sleep that night. I often missed work on Mondays because it would get to be midnight, 1:00 or so before I was able to conk out. I don't do well on 3-4 hours of sleep.

It's been nine years since I retired -a couple of years early- and have found that it was actually a few years later than I should have.
After all those years playing with my toys and hobbies in-between working to pay for them was becoming upside-down as far as satisfaction is concerned.
I now "work" about as much as before but it's all on enjoying the fruit of my working career.
It's so nice to wake up early and look forward to the day instead of looking past the next 10 to 12 hours for play time to be all mine.
I DO want to go to work tomorrow but only at enjoying the life left in me.

Semi retired with a very limited client tell.
Does it look like I have been working.

IMG_20240518_130914.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back