• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new stock stroke 400 build

How do you replace the belt, loosen the compressor mounts?

I replaced the belt on my father-in-law's unit. On his, you loosened the motor itself.
Affirmative on the motor
20240101_170502.jpg

I got the compressor wired up and running and changed the belt, air filter and oil. I also built a wooden base for it so it wouldn't walk all over the floor, , but then I had to work last weekend. I picked up a few pipe fittings today so I should be back in business tomorrow. I can't imagine running out of air now.

Last edited:
I finished the intakes on both heads. I widened the pushrod pinch a bit more, and checked all the ports with my inside calipers, and I'm happy with them, so moving on to the bowls.

IMG_20240113_160554754.jpg

IMG_20240113_160850462.jpg

IMG_20240113_163443118.jpg

IMG_20240113_163450974.jpg

How wide did you make the pinch?

I was looking thru my notes for some tests I did on a 346 head with stock valves.
Grind the seat, reface and back cut the OE valve, blend the bowl & SSR, mild bullet nose of the guide boss.
[email protected]/[email protected] with the untouched pinch area(.975” width).

Open the pinch to 1.060” and open port to gasket size went [email protected]/[email protected]

Last edited:
Funny, I actually measured the pinch today before I saw your post, 1.075. I finished both heads today. Here are representative intake and exhaust short side pics, and one of the bowl work. I only knocked down a couple of bad parting lines on the exhaust, so no pics. How did I do?

IMG_20240114_132533212.jpg

IMG_20240114_112636814.jpg

IMG_20240114_135728276.jpg

When I did my 915s back in tech school , I ended up using a square screwdriver handle as a go no- go gauge.
Never did measure them, but they sure were all the same!

My theory is just to round off the sharp edge created by the plunge cut, but I would appreciate any suggestions or pictures. I will probably finish the port matching I started first.
Alright I got a picture. It would be a good idea to avoid these areas for now until we get a plan. Second picture of valve bowls I did for a friend years ago.
IMG_2.jpg
Valve bowls C.jpg

Last edited:
What you’ve done looks good.
Sometimes the “less is more” plan pays off.

After the seats are cut, on the intake you’d like there to be a definite bottom angle between the 45 and the porting.

A blended radius is preferred on the exhaust, but you have to have a steady hand since that gets done after the seats are cut.

If the valve job is done with a formed cutter that has the radius on it already, then you don’t have to get so close to the seat with the final blending.

If you aren’t going to blend after the seats are cut……it’s not the end of the world.

Last edited:
A couple of pics……..unported with seats ground vs bowls blended:

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

The blended exhaust port went [email protected]/[email protected].
Cleaning up the rest of the ex port and making the opening the size of a std gasket was worth another 7cfm @.500 & .550

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and the pictures. Yes I believe the shop uses cutters with a radius on them. I do plan on having the intake valves back cut. I didn't worry about gasket matching the exhaust because I will be running stock exhaust manifolds, s I wasn't sure it would make much difference. The exhaust ports were a lot cleaner than the intakes, so I just blended out some parting lines.

I would agree that the exhaust side of the head isn’t that much of a player in the HP dept when ex manifolds are used.

I talked to the shop this morning, and they are going to glass bead the runners and run the heads through the washer again, to clean up some of the areas I couldn't reach with my short carbide. I know it won't increase the flow, but I will feel better that everything is clean.

They are also ordering the KB 240 pistons today .030 over, so we are starting to make progress. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but we will be running it on the dyno to break in the cam, and get some numbers. They have dynoed the last two engines I built, so looking forward to it.

IMG_1083.jpg

I got a call today that my pistons came in, and the block has been washed and is set up ready for boring. We ended up going.030 over as those were the pistons that were available. Since the pistons are 100 grams lighter than stock he asked me to bring in balancer and torque converter so he can balance the assembly. I may be able to get some pictures tomorrow.

I dropped off the parts today, and they were just starting to bore the block. I also got a look at the pistons. I love shiny new parts.

IMG_20240119_105030622_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240119_105608506_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240119_105531605_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240119_110212165_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240119_110227327_HDR.jpg

While I am waiting for the machine shop to finish their work, I needed to clean up the mess I made porting the cylinder heads. I am having them install the crank rods and pistons. It dawned on me they would need the rear main seal holder, and I would need an oil pan to install for transport, so I cleaned up all the tins. Not exciting, but progress none the less.

IMG_20240128_175216030.jpg

Just not a fan of oil pans without oil control baffling.

Auto Transport Service
Back