• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle cable help

Cncguy1

Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
I have a 69 charger 383 4spd. I just installed a Edelbrock performer intake and Holley 4160 carb. I bought a bracket from eBay, the listing said it was designed for use with performer intake.
The problem I'm having is the accelerator cable is pulled almost all the way back in bracket to achieve full throttle. See pics

How would you fix this?

IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0885.JPG

It's already fixed. If you have full carburetor travel, both closed and open, then you're fine. I've had to do stuff like that a lot.

IF you have enough "throw" (total center cable movement) to spare and it really bothers you, you could probably shorten the center cable's length (at either carb or gas pedal). The easiest way would probably be to use a small "cable swedge/lock" underneath the pedal where it can't be seen. But MAKE SURE you have enough "throw" to spare or your carb may not open/close completely.

Another option would be to research a different throttle cable. I "think" the 440 4bbl. cables have slightly less "throw". I say this because I know the 6-packs REQUIRE more throw like you have now and I think I read somewhere that the 383 cable is close enough to make a 6-pack work. Don't hold me to all this.... I may be dreaming it.

Personally, I'd run it like you have it set up now and not worry about it.

I do not waste much money on aftermarket brackets. A hacksaw and welder will modify all most any stock bracket eliminating what you are now experiencing. If the cable worked before it should work now.

Auto Transport Service
Back