• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ubolts too tight -> distorted axle???

Diz TheFiddler

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I disasembled my 8 3/4" (741) rear axle and noticed that I must have obertightened the U bolts. They dug into the axle about 1/8". Can it be that the axle is distorted now?

I diasassembled it because at first drive after resto, the rear end was extremely loud and leaking. I think it was ok 5 years ago, but i had no experience and every other part of the car was very loud too, so I dont know if that was already the case back then.

unfortunately I made no photos and I can check if it is distorted with a ruler next weekend. not sure if I would see a very small distortion that way.

Any experience on this?

I would venture that it’s probably still straight unless it suffered from some other damage or incident. You have to search but the proper u-bolts with a flattened body are still out there.

I would venture that it’s probably still straight unless it suffered from some other damage or incident. You have to search but the proper u-bolts with a flattened body are still out there.
yes, I hope its still straight. I think mancini and a few others make them. I ll definitely invest a few bucks on that.

Check the service manual for the proper torque on the nuts. I think it is 45 ft. lbs.
I remember that I wanted to torque it to spec and wasnt comfortable, since the torque was still not reached, but it felt a bit soft, so I stopped. The thread on my U bolts is very fine, with low pitch. presumably thats the reason for the high clamping force with less torque.

Both my 62 and 64 had the original rear ends with round u-bolts, as well as my 67 with the original springs, and other cars and parts cars.
I never came across an original rear with flat top u-bolts, at least up to 67.

45 ft/lbs is with new
hardware. Bare in mind
that once torqued, those
bolts have stretched some.
The standard is 5 ft/lbs over
for bolts that have been in
service. If you don't know
the installed torque value,
you're better off replacing
with new stuff. Also, check
the service manual, as
torqueing wet or dry varies.