• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

Took these shots 2 years ago on a frigid Sunday December 7 morning 2014 at the American Air Power Museum Republic Airport, Farmingdale N.Y.to honor the last four remaining Pearl Harbor survivors from long island.A group of Navy SNJ's flew a missing man formation and dropped reeves off shore in the memory of those who lost their lives the morning of Dec.7 1941. 2 of the 4 have past away.

_DSC00112324.jpg View attachment 366571 _DSC00442328.JPG

Last edited:
Was at the Pima Air Museum in Tuson Arizona they have a entire building dedicated to the B-17 and the 390th bomber group. (SOME BACKGROUND)In the spring of 1943, the 390th Bomb Group (H) was activated in Blythe, California with four squadrons: the 568th, 569th, 570th, and 571st. In July, the Group’s air and ground troops where assigned to the 8th Air Force and dispatched to Suffolk, England for missions over Europe. The 390th‘s B-17 Flying Fortresses bombed aircraft factories, bridges and oil refineries. A total of 714 airmen sacrificed their lives in the cause of freedom from the 390th.
while there I came across these three gentlemen they where sitting on a bench next to each other admiring the B-17G "I'LL BE AROUND". We started talking and it turns out they where from the same flight crew. pilot, navigator, tallgunner!! my jaw dropped.we talked till the place closed It was an honor to meet them and took this picture witch I sent to them each, It is an amazing museum with the complete history and records of the 390th and many other bombardment groups of the mighty 8th air force. if your ever in Arizona check out Pima. click on picture ,looks better enlarged.

_DSC3871.jpg

The little guys...
It's fun to check out the fastest, the biggest, the most whatever, but sometimes some smaller planes are worth a look.

Ten years before Douglas flew the DC-9, Sud Aviation flew their Caravelle prototype in 1955. By the end of the 50's it was in service and was popular for years, introducing the rear engined design that people liked for the quiet interior and clean looks. Saving some design money by using the Comet's nose and cockpit, the French design added some flair with the elegant triangle windows.
F-BHRU-AF3-G3-Poitou-ORY-08-1978.jpg

AvionCaravelle.jpg

Cool stuff Photon!
That "D" buffalo is a WORK HORSE!

Patrick; I thought that Bird was used in the Bearing Straights as a predecessor to the RCs

The little guys...
It's fun to check out the fastest, the biggest, the most whatever, but sometimes some smaller planes are worth a look.

Ten years before Douglas flew the DC-9, Sud Aviation flew their Caravelle prototype in 1955. By the end of the 50's it was in service and was popular for years, introducing the rear engined design that people liked for the quiet interior and clean looks. Saving some design money by using the Comet's nose and cockpit, the French design added some flair with the elegant triangle windows.
F-BHRU-AF3-G3-Poitou-ORY-08-1978.jpg

AvionCaravelle.jpg
Prone to flat spins. I remember Caravelles well. DC-9 & all the MD evolutions i think are very good looking A/C. Douglas designed the DC-9 to be stretched, was not an afterthought.

Was at the Pima Air Museum in Tuson Arizona they have a entire building dedicated to the B-17 and the 390th bomber group. (SOME BACKGROUND)In the spring of 1943, the 390th Bomb Group (H) was activated in Blythe, California with four squadrons: the 568th, 569th, 570th, and 571st. In July, the Group’s air and ground troops where assigned to the 8th Air Force and dispatched to Suffolk, England for missions over Europe. The 390th‘s B-17 Flying Fortresses bombed aircraft factories, bridges and oil refineries. A total of 714 airmen sacrificed their lives in the cause of freedom from the 390th.
while there I came across these three gentlemen they where sitting on a bench next to each other admiring the B-17G "I'LL BE AROUND". We started talking and it turns out they where from the same flight crew. pilot, navigator, tallgunner!! my jaw dropped.we talked till the place closed It was an honor to meet them and took this picture witch I sent to them each, It is an amazing museum with the complete history and records of the 390th and many other bombardment groups of the mighty 8th air force. if your ever in Arizona check out Pima. click on picture ,looks better enlarged.

View attachment 366585
Hey Mo! Im a Tucson semi native, know the Pima facility well, & yes it has evolved nicely thru the years.

Prone to flat spins. I remember Caravelles well.....

I've never seen an incident regarding flat spins with the Caravelle, so I tried to look it up. I can't see any reference to it but would be interested to learn...

Anyway, being the world's first successful passenger jet, the Caravelle started to get imitators. One of the first to follow was the British BAC 1-11. Similar design criteria were used, but a higher 'T' tail was selected. Unfortunately this design showed problems with "deep stall" in high attack angles, since the tail surfaces would be enveloped in wing wash turbulence. So, the leading edges of the wing were re-shaped and "stick shakers" were added to the controls to help the pilots recognize oncoming problems.

Initially popular (American Airlines liked them enough to buy 30 of them) production never posed a great threat to other jets. BAC 1-11 production lasted through the early 80's, then Rumania bought the rights to the design and built a few more copies into the 1990s as re ROMBAC 1-11.
bac-111-one-eleven-05.jpg

g-avmi-sabena-bac-1-11-510ed-one-eleven_PlanespottersNet_409262.jpg

Not being content to have France and England have all the fun, Germany decided to get into the game around the same time and started to offer the Fokker F28. Built in collaboration with Short Brothers from Northern Ireland, this was a slightly smaller airliner that was first announced in 1962.
Piedmont_F-28-1000.jpg

Looking to share the market, Douglas introduced the DC-9 in 1965. Knowing that Boeing was competing in the same market with it's three engined 727, Douglas designed a slightly smaller twin, using some knowledge gained from a two year contract with SUD and their Caravelle. Really popular as a shorter range jet, the DC-9 grew over the years and evolved into the MD-80, the MD-90 and after Douglas merged with Boeing was still built as the Boeing 717 up 'till 2006, giving it a very long production run.
14822-d932ac78zip-17-ac78-30.jpg

A modern example of the twin rear engine/T tail airplane may be found in the current Bombardier CRJ series. Developed in the 90's, over 800 of this series have been delivered and it is still in production:
1024px-Lufthansa_cityline_crj900lr_d-acke_takeoff_london_heathrow_arp.jpg

I've never seen an incident regarding flat spins with the Caravelle, so I tried to look it up. I can't see any reference to it but would be interested to learn...

Anyway, being the world's first successful passenger jet, the Caravelle started to get imitators. One of the first to follow was the British BAC 1-11. Similar design criteria were used, but a higher 'T' tail was selected. Unfortunately this design showed problems with "deep stall" in high attack angles, since the tail surfaces would be enveloped in wing wash turbulence. So, the leading edges of the wing were re-shaped and "stick shakers" were added to the controls to help the pilots recognize oncoming problems.

Initially popular (American Airlines liked them enough to buy 30 of them) production never posed a great threat to other jets. BAC 1-11 production lasted through the early 80's, then Rumania bought the rights to the design and built a few more copies into the 1990s as re ROMBAC 1-11.
bac-111-one-eleven-05.jpg

g-avmi-sabena-bac-1-11-510ed-one-eleven_PlanespottersNet_409262.jpg

Not being content to have France and England have all the fun, Germany decided to get into the game around the same time and started to offer the Fokker F28. Built in collaboration with Short Brothers from Northern Ireland, this was a slightly smaller airliner that was first announced in 1962.
Piedmont_F-28-1000.jpg

Looking to share the market, Douglas introduced the DC-9 in 1965. Knowing that Boeing was competing in the same market with it's three engined 727, Douglas designed a slightly smaller twin, using some knowledge gained from a two year contract with SUD and their Caravelle. Really popular as a shorter range jet, the DC-9 grew over the years and evolved into the MD-80, the MD-90 and after Douglas merged with Boeing was still built as the Boeing 717 up 'till 2006, giving it a very long production run.
14822-d932ac78zip-17-ac78-30.jpg

A modern example of the twin rear engine/T tail airplane may be found in the current Bombardier CRJ series. Developed in the 90's, over 800 of this series have been delivered and it is still in production:
1024px-Lufthansa_cityline_crj900lr_d-acke_takeoff_london_heathrow_arp.jpg
You have the tech down far superior to me.....i admit i was repeating what my Old Man told me about the Caravelle's tendency to flat spins.
I flew on a lot of DC-9's in the sixties & i was @ LGB while it was still in production as a Boeing in the Lakewood ave plant. The bldg is HUGE. Since then the plant has been sold to i believe, Toyota.

Look up Primus 150- my oldest is heading to just west of HongKong on the 22nd to show repair guys how to replace de-icer boots on wings for UTC. He was involved with testing boots on F-35 VTO portion. Gov't figured out they may(?) have icing problems in certain temperatures??!!! Gotta love'm..20+ hrs of flying time to get there from Akron-Canton..

So,
Status update:
Jimi's Plaque finally arrived
I will "slap" it on the display case and ship it out to him

Tell me what you think?

IMG_0710.JPG

I personally LOVE it. FedEx it, what the h---. I was thinking about asking last week if he got it yet. Semper Fi.

I personally LOVE it. FedEx it, what the h---. I was thinking about asking last week if he got it yet. Semper Fi.

Cool,
I have the Flag all folded, Case is ready to go
I'll assemble, ship!
I WILL post a PIC of it for all to see before I send the "Cutter of Blades"

Thanks for the update on the Flag and Plaque, super-bee_ski! Fantastic!

And on with the rear-engined jets...
The Boeing 727, mentioned earlier, was their answer to airline's request for a smaller jet than the 707. Already seeing competition from the above twin engined models, Boeing decided to go with three engines to help with shorter field take-off, and to save time and money they shared the basic fuselage dimensions with the 707. It used to be a standing joke in the 60's and 70's that Boeing just kept cranking out one long fuselage and cut off sections as required for the 707, 727 and 737 as they all had the same diameter. :)
21615-deltanew-captainsim-727zip-3-delta-cs727-3jpg.jpg

Still in service all over the world, the 727 is popular for freight service. Updates include hush kits to quiet the engines, and winglets that help cut drag (as seen in this modification to Trump's private 727).
trump-727-lga-vpbdj-620.jpg

Meanwhile, back in England, after getting the ball rolling with the Caravelle, the VC-10 was introduced in the early 60's as a large transport in the 200 passenger range. A speedy airplane, it has the Atlantic crossing record of 5 hours and 1 minute, beaten only by the Concorde for passenger planes. As well as passenger service, it was used for the RAF as a tanker. The VC-10 had great short field performance, needed by the use of runways in hot and high altitude places on BOAC's African routes.
7.jpg

vc10_hornet.jpg

On the other side of the curtain, the USSR fielded their look-a-like version with the IL-62, also in the 200 passenger range. When this jet flew in 1963 it was the largest airliner in the world. Aside from some visual similarities to the VC-10, the Ilyushin IL-62 was larger, built in much greater numbers and is actually still in service today.
Air-to-air_with_a_Russian_Air_Force_Ilyushin_Il-62M_%28retouched%29.jpg

Yeah, huh?
It came out good, don't you guys think?
I had "our boys" make it, that is why it took a bit longer....
But, it came out better than I thought!

Look up Primus 150- my oldest is heading to just west of HongKong on the 22nd to show repair guys how to replace de-icer boots on wings for UTC. He was involved with testing boots on F-35 VTO portion. Gov't figured out they may(?) have icing problems in certain temperatures??!!! Gotta love'm..20+ hrs of flying time to get there from Akron-Canton..
Pneumatic boots are a bitch to work with in GA....i messed with them on a Cessna 340. The advanced stuff must be psycho....boots on an F-35? I had no idea. Pneumatic system or alcohol/TKS? Back in 99, i worked on a Hawker 700 w / fan conversions....TKS systems in leading edges instead of bleed air heated edges......gawd what a mess!! I refinished leading edges of wings.....little wonder why..dumbas system IMO as TKS is Corrosive!?

Auto Transport Service
Back