• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘68 Charger Center Console Reverse Light Wiring

dfrazz

Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
Looking for help on my ‘68 Charger reverse light wiring. I’ve never had a ‘68 center console auto, so this is new to me. I understand there is a connection on the shifter that controls when the reverse lights come on, but that’s it. Here is what my current set up looks like, but the lights are not working. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg

Unhook the battery, put an ohm meter on those two wires at the switch and see if it opens and closes when you put it into Reverse. If it works.. the issue is elsewhere!

In reverse top wire read .09 and bottom .10. Bulbs look good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
What are you reading? You want ohms ACROSS the two connections... showing switch open or switch closed with battery disconnected. If the switch is good then you need to search, check, to see if the wires are actually connected into the body harness.

Checking for continuity on both connections I get no change (stays at 1) on my reader in reverse.

Ok will do and check it. Thanks for your help.

Jumper worked and when I looked on the other side the white plastic knob attached to the spring is broke off. So it’s a new switch for me.

Found a new switch thanks to @robert horman! Question for the group - does anyone know the trick to installing this switch in a '68 center console auto? It seems the shifter needs to engage the knob that sticks out, so do I move the shifter into D2 or compress the spring to move the knob up or is there another way?

Auto Transport Service
Back