• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

12point heads on steering box mount

ElectricBlue

Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering why Plymouth used 12 point head bolts to hold the steering box in place. Anyone know why this was done? I just replaced my manual steering box on my 68 GTX and found one of bolt heads really “buggered up”. Obviously the box was taken out or previously replaced. The car has 119000 miles and had no reaction from 10 to 2 o’clock while driving in a straight line. The new 20:1 ratio P-S-T box is amazing. I highly recommend it.

I can't say what Plymouth was thinking, but "in general" a 12-pt is easier to get on in tight spaces so maybe that had something to do with it? Whether or not 6 or 12 is better for torque or has more contact with the socket is something that's been argued over for ages, but if yours is "buggered up"...then I'd bet somebody buggered it up...probably by trying to ramrod a 6-pt hex socket on it with the ol' impact gun. Some people can screw up anything....

The bolt head is smaller on a 12pt. And its pretty tight around the steering box. Buggered up probably due to alighnment when re-installing - I had a tough time with one of the bolts on mine and I was doing it with the assembly on a cradle out of the car !! Would have been some major cursing if I'd been doing it flat on my back !!!

The steering boxes were notorious for coming loose because the pad that the steering box sits on is not
machined and is usually not flat! I agree that it's tight quarters down there so 12Pt. it is!

Thanks guys, makes sense. I changed mine while on a lift and had no problem getting at them with an old fashion ratchet with 12 inch extension. The bolt by itself is now six point since my parts bin had no 12 point on hand.

in 71 they went to 6-point bolts so I don't think it was a space thing. Of course AMD doesn't know this.

i wonder if a little threadlocker would cure the problem of losing the torque? i usually apply anti seize during installation…

Auto Transport Service
Back