• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Belvedere slant six automatic transmission ?

Wallus57

Local time
9:23 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know if a 61 Belvedere slant would have an aluminum 904, or would it be a cast iron automatic? Thanks, Wally.

Sorry, R413 The '61 Belevedere with a Slant six would have an Aluminum 904 , hence the original designation "Torque Flite six" . The Valiants and Lancers had the same trans!
The cast iron A-466 was found on all V-8's in '61

Ok sounds good, what model year did the aluminum 904 begin production?

Did the 1961 and older slant six have the same crank as a 1963 slant 6 as far and the rear flange and flexplate attaching?

Sorry, R413 The '61 Belevedere with a Slant six would have an Aluminum 904 , hence the original designation "Torque Flite six" . The Valiants and Lancers had the same trans!
The cast iron A-466 was found on all V-8's in '61
That's what I was hoping for. It should bolt up to my 63 slant then, would you know?

Hi
The 904 started production in 1960 in order to meet the new Stant Six which was a major sensation that year! The '63 Slant will bolt up no problem as the Torque converter and the flex plate are the same! I've mucked about a bit with swapping Slants , the last one I did was in my Son's '64 Dodge and that engine was from a '76 Truck! We put an Offenhauser four barrel manifold with a small AFB from a '58 PLymouth on it with the exhaust manifold from a Super Six.
We recurved the distributor etc. and boy did that Slant ever wake up ... I located a non silenced
Air cleaner assembly from a '65 "B" engine that fit the AFB (Those air cleaners look almost identical to the 1 Barrel original so with some detailing (paint ,wires etc.) The engine looked pretty close to stock ! What fun!

Hi
The 904 started production in 1960 in order to meet the new Stant Six which was a major sensation that year! The '63 Slant will bolt up no problem as the Torque converter and the flex plate are the same! I've mucked about a bit with swapping Slants , the last one I did was in my Son's '64 Dodge and that engine was from a '76 Truck! We put an Offenhauser four barrel manifold with a small AFB from a '58 PLymouth on it with the exhaust manifold from a Super Six.
We recurved the distributor etc. and boy did that Slant ever wake up ... I located a non silenced
Air cleaner assembly from a '65 "B" engine that fit the AFB (Those air cleaners look almost identical to the 1 Barrel original so with some detailing (paint ,wires etc.) The engine looked pretty close to stock ! What fun!
Thanks for that info Longram. Things are looking up lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back