• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Polara package tray picture request.

62maxx

Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
If someone can send me a few interior rear deck pics of how the package tray fits with the rear seat back on a 62 Polara, that would be cool!

Got this pkg. tray some years ago and I'm wondering if this is a
"trim to fit" piece? The center of the steel deck measures 12" and the tray measures 16" Does the excess 4" go UNDER the rear seat back or trim it off at the 12" mark? My seat back seems to fit "flush" with the ends of the steel deck and not on top of the steel deck.

ALSO, I have jute padding to glue onto the back side but how do you "fasten" the pkg. tray to the steel deck? Do you glue the back side to the steel deck to keep it in place?

I just want to be sure to NOT ruin a $100.00 piece of lousy cardboard! :BangHead:

I called the manufacturer of the pkg. tray and they could not answer my question.

THANKS in advance.

62 pkg tray 2.jpg

62 pkg tray 3.jpg

62 pkg tray 4.jpg

62 pkg tray 8 overhang.jpg

62 pkg tray 5.jpg

62 pkg tray 6.jpg

62 pkg tray 7.jpg

So, you can "fold" it without it cracking like a torn newspaper?

So, you can "fold" it without it cracking like a torn newspaper?

Like I said mine is original to the car. Maybe contact REM and ask them how they recommend shaping them.

Edit: I see you already did. Maybe a heat gun or last resort a small steamer.

The package tray is held in place with two push through buttons on top and a screw at each end behind the seat.

Pic of the push pins on my 62 Valiant, same as 62 Dart.

I made the package tray for both.

On the Dart it's thin board covered in vinyl, and only the vinyl comes down behind the back seat.
Originally there would be a screw in either end, but since mine is only vinyl behind the seat, I ran screws across the length of it, due to air pressure pushing it up.

There is quite a bit of exposed body behind the seat, so I extended the vinyl down pretty far.

Push pins pictured near center.
Package tray also goes under rear window gasket, helps hold it in place, at least on mine.

20240527_221712.png

Screenshot_20240527-221639.png

Not sure if you want to try duct tape on the back, but since my Valiant had multiple bends needed, and I made it out of thin board, I ran duct tape on the back of the bend to help it stay together.

To clarify, I made it out of 3 pieces of board with fabric stretched over it, not the same as your cardboard one piece.

Screenshot_20240527-222845.png

I just mocked mine up in my 62 Dart over the weekend and noticed the gap between the tray and the seat back, I was thinking about getting some black weather strip to fill the void.

IMG_5178.jpeg

Like I said mine is original to the car. Maybe contact REM and ask them how they recommend shaping them.

Edit: I see you already did. Maybe a heat gun or last resort a small steamer.

The package tray is held in place with two push through buttons on top and a screw at each end behind the seat.
Ahhh.......I'm lucky the guy left these "buttons" pushed into the rear deck.....as there was NO pkg. tray when I bought the car. THANKS!

62 deck buttons.jpg

Not sure if you want to try duct tape on the back, but since my Valiant had multiple bends needed, and I made it out of thin board, I ran duct tape on the back of the bend to help it stay together.

To clarify, I made it out of 3 pieces of board with fabric stretched over it, not the same as your cardboard one piece.

View attachment 1669926
The duck tape idea sounds great! I'm going to do that for sure.....

I put my antenna somewhere safe in 2021.
hahah and... umm i think i know where my antenna is :( I need a new wire for it though.. I can't find my stupid steering column bolts right now. the ones with the big *** washer that hold it to the firewall..

Auto Transport Service
Back