• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet Steering & Brake Questions

168BTHPM

Werepig
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
I have a 65 Coronet that was a race car until I bought it last spring and got it registered for the street. It had a bunch of things absolutely Bubba shade tree mechanic done to it.

The steering coupler is falling off of the box and the end of the column looks like it's coming apart. I pushed the coupler as far back on the box as I could by hand.

What is supposed to go through the hole to lock the couple to the box? I googled it and have seen picture with solid pins, roll pins and bolts through the hole on the coupler. Whatever it is, roll pin, solid pin or bolt, does anyone know what diameter or where I can find one?

The end of the column looks like a bushing worked its way out. Is there supposed to be something on the end of the column holding the bushing in?

IMG_2020a.JPG

The brake question I have is, I purchased the power brake booster, vacuum pump and vacuum reservoir from Summit. The booster said it was for use with the factory master cylinder. The bracket for the booster does not have the studs to go through the firewall, so I guess just use grade 8 nuts and bolts to attach it to the firewall.

The booster has studs sticking out for the master cylinder. My master cylinder is dual reservoir and has studs that go through the firewall. I assume I am supposed to knock those studs out and use the studs on the power booster to mount the master cylinder?

On the steering, there needs to be a roll pin that goes through the end of the coupler intersecting the box shaft. There is a groove near the end of the box shaft just for that intersection. On the other end, there is a seal/bushing that goes on the end of the column tube. Mine was the same. Got a new one, not in yet, plus I had a Delring bushing made to go over the shaft but inside the tube. This will better locate the shaft. Also not in yet. Can't help you on the brakes since mine was manual and will stay that way.

IMG_2339.jpeg

IMG_2338.jpeg

I was just out there working on the car. The steering column doesn't even line up with the steering box. I can see it in the picture now. The bushing is not in the end of the column because the column wobbles when it is turned.

Does that mean my car has the wrong steering box in it?

The 65 uses the seal/bushing to keep it aligned on that end. Up by the wheel is an actual bearing. I had that Delrin unit made to better retain that shaft in the center of the tube. Since you need to pull the column at least back some if not out, get a coupler rebuild pack too. Shoes, spring, seal, pins etc.

I will order the coupler rebuild kit. On my car the column shaft is pulled down and towards the engine. It still does not line up with the steering box. When I wiggle the coupler to its loosest spot I can pull the shaft of the column up so it is centered in the outer tube, but that cases the coupler to be cocked sideways. The misalignment between the steering column shaft and the input shaft of the steering box is significant.

you can adjust the steering column inside the car. As I remember there’s a small and large mounting plate that you can move to adjust

Auto Transport Service
Back