• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Dodge Poly 318 carb help needed

Red Cricket

Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
G Day all, my original carter 2290 2 barrel is shot. Im having a hard time finding the exact replacement. Any suggestions on a "bolt on" replacement for the old carter. Motor is stock and just looking for good mileage daily driver. TKS for your opinions.

I agree with Geoff 2
I had forgotten about Woodruff

I had mine done in N.C
Came out great

i would think there would be a Newer carb from a Newer car or truck that will preform better than the stock 2 barrel poly carb. It dont have to be an original unit....just a smooth runner with good gas mileage. That would bolt up to the poly manifold. Tks....All

550 or 600 cfm Holley 2 or 4 barrel, you will need an adaptor plate/spacer. My adaptor is home built, not sure what the part numbers would be out of mail order businesses.

Sorry you're not closer by; have a poly 2bbl + manifold I'd give ya. But, carb would need rebuilding sitting for 25 years.

I would imagine any 318 sourced BBD would work until they got all electronic'd in the late 70's.

Iv got the stock stuff..The carb is a carter 2 barrel. Just kinda would like a newer carb...maybe better design?? Maybe early to mid 70's 2 barrel?

Iv got the stock stuff..The carb is a carter 2 barrel. Just kinda would like a newer carb...maybe better design?? Maybe early to mid 70's 2 barrel?
Personally, I'd stick with a Carter 1-1/4" BBD (for a 318) probably no newer than 1973, the year EGR was introduced. Any newer carbs will have the electronic mixture control devices to be compatible with the catalytic converter introduced in 1975. Their disadvantage is they require the on board computer and O2 sensors to operate properly. Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Except as noted above, IIRC the BBD remained pretty much unchanged.

Almost anything else is gonna have a larger base and different bolt hole spacing.

I'm not aware of any adapters except BBD to square bore 4 barrel.

Personally, I'd stick with a Carter 1-1/4" BBD (for a 318) probably no newer than 1973, the year EGR was introduced. Any newer carbs will have the electronic mixture control devices to be compatible with the catalytic converter introduced in 1975. Their disadvantage is they require the on board computer and O2 sensors to operate properly. Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON
I don't think so Bob.
I worked on several 70's chryslers with small blocks and none of them had 02 sensors or electronic mixture control on the carbs.
Just a catalytic converter. The one's without the lean burn just had a catalytic converter and an EGR and an air pump I think.
For example all the carbs shown on RockAuto for a 1975 are really simple.
1654183855896.png

I don't think so Bob.
I worked on several 70's chryslers with small blocks and none of them had 02 sensors or electronic mixture control on the carbs.
Just a catalytic converter. The one's without the lean burn just had a catalytic converter and an EGR and an air pump I think.
For example all the carbs shown on RockAuto for a 1975 are really simple.
View attachment 1293116
I stand corrected....thanks....I was thinking of the Electronic Lean Burn system, but it did not use O2 sensors, but it had 2 distributor reluctor pick ups....one for starting the second one used by the lean burn system. Yes, the Carter BBD pix is a very simple carb that is very reliable IMO. It looks as if for '71 and newer for the evaporative control system.
BOB RENTON

Worst, maybe 2nd worst ride I had was a mid-70's Cordoba with the I don't know...computer-command lean system? Went to crap not long after buying the car. Cost a fortune for it new settling on taking my chances at a bone-yard, still pricy; but worked. Whoever had the car before me must a beat the **** out of it with all the weird stuff that went wrong. Lol, likely why I got it at for a decent price.

Auto Transport Service
Back