• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Battery Ground Wire Connection Location

Mariposa Mike

Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
Just purchased a 66 stock Charger but I'm not sure the ground wire from the battery is in the correct location. It was attached to a bolt on the A/C compressor. But there is also an exhaust manifold stud on the front that has a ground wire attached with a nut and would seem more logical but I believe the stud is too short for another wire. Anyone know where the factory attached the battery ground? I also need to replace the positive cable with a stock looking red wire. Has anyone found a correct replacement?

Just did a spark plug change on the car and installed Champion J12YRC plugs I had on the shelf. What a horrible job doing those! The big block 383 in a B body with narrow frame rails and twice pipes sure complicated that. I'm bleeding from several places. Also replaced the water pump, thermostat, fuel pump, radiator hoses, and had the original radiator repaired due to it leaking a bit. Viscous fan was new or in good shape. Car was one family owned since new but has been driven enough that a few of the old plugs were showing a little oil residue. Happy to find this site for refurbishing the car. I've been looking and posting on the general forum.

Plugs on a big block suck, and the older we get the worst they get

As for the neg bat cable attachment point should be forward most intake bolt , drivers side. ALTHOUGH with factory air that might be different. Others might know for sure
Definitely not on the exhaust stud

I actually do the majority of the plugs with a box wrench.
Believe it or not.

I believe that. Did two of the eight with the box wrench because there was not enough room for the ratchet. The frone manifold bolt sounds reasonable as there is already an A/C brace attached there. I think. As I recall. Damn memory went with the agility in my old age.

A variety of tools is often helpful.
We have tons of ratchets, extensions, wobble extensions, universals and swivel ratcheting wrenches.
It's just a matter of finding the right combination usually.

Sometimes the spark plugs are easier to do from underneath. I have a spark plug socket with 3/4" hex on its end that works well with a box end wrench. On the passenger side, I unbolt the lower alternator bolt, unhook the belt, and swing the alternater up out of the way, and can reach most of the plugs by reaching down through there. The negative ground cable should bolt through carb return spring bracket on the front intake bolt hole.

Not sure if there's a chart for 66's
20240618_121210.jpg

With stock manifolds, IMO , Its easier to do them all from underneath , I have a 6 inch offset box wrench just for that

20240618_112109.jpg

I HAD to do them from the bottom. The power steering box and oil dip stick were really in the way. Fortunately I have an in ground lift. Don't do well lying on the ground anymore. Even so these were the most difficult I have ever done. Have large hands too and that did not help the situation. I have 8 MOPAR P34P plugs old stock plugs but could not find a cross reference from the stock Champion plug. Believe they might be a hotter plug looking at the electrode. So went with the J12Y's. I'll post a picture of the plugs I took out as soon as I download the pictures. This was supposed to be a low mileage car but has over 107K on it and maybe/likely more.

Pictures of the plugs that came out showing some engine wear. The gaps were out to .040 so had been in there for awhile.

IMG_0602.jpeg

IMG_0601.jpeg

IMG_0600.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back