• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Hemi engine identification

Highpoint

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what the stamping means on this 1966 Hemi?

Attachments

• IMG_4835.jpg
    IMG_4835.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3,844
That is "B" H 426 B= the model year code of 1966
H= Hemi
426= engine CID

the 3 8 24 2 numbers below is where you find the assembly date of the engine how ever it is supposed to be 3 digits, month and day, so I don't know how to ditermine which numbers will corolate without the SPD of the car.

I think I also see the WT stamp running about 90 deg from the other stamps. WT = water test. Curious about all the different numbers toward the bottom.

My 66 HEMI block has a 10 29 or 25 on the bottom and I think that's the build date. Since my block is cast Jan 18 66 then I have to assume the assembly date was 10 of 1966 and installed originally in a late 66 car?? Normally I would think a build date of 10 66 would go into a 67 car but perhaps I would have a CH 426 on the pad instead of a BH.

I think I also see the WT stamp running about 90 deg from the other stamps. WT = water test. Curious about all the different numbers toward the bottom.

My 66 HEMI block has a 10 29 or 25 on the bottom and I think that's the build date. Since my block is cast Jan 18 66 then I have to assume the assembly date was 10 of 1966 and installed originally in a late 66 car?? Normally I would think a build date of 10 66 would go into a 67 car but perhaps I would have a CH 426 on the pad instead of a BH.

Are you sure it is not 1 29 or 25? If the letters in front of the 426 are CH then the block was intended for a 1966 model year car. You are correct if the engine was actually assembled in Oct. (10) it HAD to be for a 67 (C) model year. It could simply be a factory worker screw up.

From what i have read on the web and talked about with others that havre looked at a lot of early Hemi engines there seems to be a lot of strange unexplained numbers stamped in this area.

1966 cast Hemi engines were used into the 1968 model year. There were no 67 cast Hemi engines.

Didn't know there were no 67 castings. I'll look again and get a picture of the pad but I'm really sure it says 10 25 (or 29) and not 1 25. It would be cool if it was a good fit to my 66 Belvedere with the Jan 26 SPD.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but figured it was all relative info.

If that is the correct stamping then it is obviously a factory screw up as the assembly date is too late for a 1966 model car and should be a "C" stamping rather than a "B" unless of course someone shaved the pad and restamped it incorrectly.

Auto Transport Service
Back