• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 383 commando compression test

Neal Zimmerman

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
Im eyeing a non b-body 1968 Mopar two door (68 Fury II, 2 door sedan), that came equipped with the 383 commando 2 bbl engine. I want to do a compression check on it. What should the readings have been brand new? Owner has done one himself and says one cylinder is about 10psi low. He says it runs great, shifts great and is completely roadworthy, but there's the 10psi thing.
The car , from what I can find is a somewhat numerically rare car ( only 3116 made), but I am sure its utterly worthless. Numerically rare, financially worthless. He's redone the upholstery and got body work all ready for paint. Made in Ontario Canada , which would be a first for me.
you just don't see running, driving 2 door big block Mopars for 2500 bucks everyday. Would make a cool sleeper. Even though it looks like a box of grape nuts with wheels. LOL

Im eyeing a non b-body 1968 Mopar two door (68 Fury II, 2 door sedan), that came equipped with the 383 commando 2 bbl engine. I want to do a compression check on it. What should the readings have been brand new? Owner has done one himself and says one cylinder is about 10psi low. He says it runs great, shifts great and is completely roadworthy, but there's the 10psi thing.
The car , from what I can find is a somewhat numerically rare car ( only 3116 made), but I am sure its utterly worthless. Numerically rare, financially worthless. He's redone the upholstery and got body work all ready for paint. Made in Ontario Canada , which would be a first for me.
you just don't see running, driving 2 door big block Mopars for 2500 bucks everyday. Would make a cool sleeper. Even though it looks like a box of grape nuts with wheels. LOL
Was hoping it was a cop car, but the guy says there's no extra Special Order Fender tag , which I understand you would have on a cop car

I wouldnt worry about a 10 PSi difference. If it was like 150 per cylinder and one at 90 I would be worried. But 150 and 140 it could be something as simple as a valve not seating great and could be carbon buildup at the seat. Or it could be a little blow by on a set of piston rings. As long as the oil pan isnt full of water and or leaking outside of the engine. I would probably go with it. 2500 bucks for an intact car even though its a Grape Ape id say a fair deal. I've paid more for less.

I built my 440 and I had 170 on each cylinder after the build. But 160 to 180 should be in the normal range.

The usual is within 10%. So at 100 psi that's 10. All good

I don't think one cylinder being 10 psi. lower would be a big problem. My shop manual says 20 psi. variation is OK. 383, 2-bbl. compression pressure with all plugs out = 125 -155 psi.

I am a bit late to this but for 2500 bucks you can't go wrong.
One thing to consider, it is a 68 so if people were not mindful of the unleaded gas you might have the beginnings of a sunk valve. but 10psi is really not a big deal. Pretty hard to kill a 383 anyway :)

Auto Transport Service
Back